Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Share |

Sump Pump

My house is 7 years old and has never had water in the sump pump in the basement. I live in Delaware ans since the 4 feet of snow and 3 inches of rain the pump has been running non stop every 4 minutes. The water is coming from one of three pipes in my french drain system. Could this issue be based on the water table being extremely high based on our rain and snow or could there be other issues? How can i validate the water table is above normal and could there be other issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

jgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

Sump Pump

We had 10" of rain here a week ago...now another ~3"
I'd bet its just from that
The water level in my sump has gone up & down....back up again tonite

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Sump Pump

The water level in your sump is almost certainly close to the water table around your house. No surprise that the water level goes up when you get a lot of rain and melting snow. As long as the pump is pushing the water out and keeping the water out of your basement, it is operating normally and correctly. If you are truly interested in measuring the water table around your house, simply dig a small hole a few feet from your foundation, and measure the water level in the hole. It will be a good indication of the groundwater level.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #4

Sump Pump

Just make sure the pump is discharging away from the house 10' or more. You don't want to pump the same water over and over
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Sump Pump

How many feet above sea level are you?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

Sump Pump

Thanks all for all the advice. I will try to dig the hole this weekend. I am around 30-40 feet above sea level. I do have a 100 year flood plane close to the corner of my yard. I am a little concerned because this is the first time my pump has run so much but it is also the first time we have had so much snow and rain early in the season. Thanks again for all the advice. It is great that people are so willing to help. Thanks
jgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #7

Sump Pump

I am so grateful to find this posting. I live just north of Philadelphia and although our sump pump has maybe gone off some (hardly ever) in the 10 years we've lived in our house, it is now going off quite often for the first time ever (once every 15 minutes)!

During the storm a week and a half ago, our power went out for 3-5 hours and the pump didn't overflow. But the pump is still going off ten days later! Two days ago I tested the pump by unplugging it for 6.5 hours. It went from about 8 inches to 17.5 inches (our pit is 21 inches deep). But in the last four hours it only went up 1 inch and in the last two hours only a quarter of an inch.

Does that suggest that the water table has just risen significantly?

I am very worried as I didn't think we ever had to worry about water in our basement as we thought our pump never went off (now we realize it probably did sometimes).
benezet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #8

Sump Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by benezet View Post
I am so grateful to find this posting. I live just north of Philadelphia and although our sump pump has maybe gone off some (hardly ever) in the 10 years we've lived in our house, it is now going off quite often for the first time ever (once every 15 minutes)!

During the storm a week and a half ago, our power went out for 3-5 hours and the pump didn't overflow. But the pump is still going off ten days later! Two days ago I tested the pump by unplugging it for 6.5 hours. It went from about 8 inches to 17.5 inches (our pit is 21 inches deep). But in the last four hours it only went up 1 inch and in the last two hours only a quarter of an inch.

Does that suggest that the water table has just risen significantly?

I am very worried as I didn't think we ever had to worry about water in our basement as we thought our pump never went off (now we realize it probably did sometimes).

your pump is doing just what it is made to do, the water table will drop eventually and things will be just the way they were.

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote