Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Share |

Sump Pump

I have purchased a property in Toronto Canada that has a working sump pump in the basement and I am not happy with the location the previous home owner had picked for the exterior water discharge. The water is being pumped from the sump pit located in the basement and runs up the wall and exit's the home under an elevated poured concrete porch. From here it 90's out from under the porch and continues along the side of the home's exterior foundation wall with a gradula slope (approx 30' run). The pipe exit's from the porch 6" above grade leaving 5' of pipe that is exposed before it runs under ground due to the gradual slope. The pipe then 90's again running away from the house approx 10' and is discharged onto the grass. Because the sump pump runs so frequently and with the force of the water being discharged it is washing away the earth creating a mud hole. The amount of water being discharged to this same area then pools and eventually starts a river running along the side of the property and is making a mess or the yard and lawn. I also had an issue this winter with the line freezing which caused a flood in the unfinished basement.
How can I fix this problem for both issues?
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Sump Pump

#1 Figure out why there's so much water getting into the basement in the first place.
Lack of grade away from the house.
No gutters or there plugged up.
Mulch or flower beds up againt the house.
No waterproofing done to the outside of the foundation.
ECT.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #3

Sump Pump

The homes in this area are about 50yrs old and all are on a septic and well water with no available city sewers to help with drainage, there is a huge marsh and conservation area behind the homes as well. From speaking to the people in this area there has always been a high water table and sump pumps are a must for all of these homes. I am just looking for the best solution for running the discharge
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

Sump Pump

Not sure how anyone here that can not see the lay of the land there is going to be able to be of much help suggesting a better way to run it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
DIY staff

Sump Pump

First--figure out where you can drain in the yard----
exit the basement as close to that spot as possible---
When the exit pipe leaves the warm house---it must pour into a larger outside drain pipe using a 'free fall' basin.

In a nut shell---small 'house pipe' dumps into a larger open 'outside' pipe much like a faucet dumps into a sink---if the outside pipe freezes the water from the pump will spill out harmlessly onto the ground---but the inside pipe will still flow and not burst inside the house.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Sump Pump

The chances of the outside line freezing are very much reduced if the outside line is continuously downsloping from where it exits the house to where it empties out.

I would look into running a roof heat cable through the sump pump outlet line to prevent freezing. I would use a line at least 1-1/2 inches in size and I would prefer to introduce the cable at a tee where the pipe exits the house rather than have any part of the cable indoors. A metal pipe on the inside is less likely to get a slug of ice where it exits the house compared with a plastic pipe. Pipes concealed in exterior walls should have no insulation between them and the living space.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #7

Sump Pump

I would like to run the discharge line under ground so it is not exposed or seen at all. What is the best way to achieve this and what would the pro's and con's be?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
DIY staff

Sump Pump

What is your frost line ? 52" ?? More???

You must have the discharge from the house piped in such a way ,that if the underground drain ever becomes clogged, the discharge water can still flow freely from the house.

Often when a sump discharge pipe gets frozen---the piping inside the house bursts open from the pressure---causing the pump to become an indoor fountain----

While entertaining to watch, this problem causes great damage to the basement.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #9

Sump Pump

You can bury it in any way you want except it is not desirable for the pipe, buried ot not, to undulate (with hills and dales).

It is often more difficult to accomplish a continuously descending route for the pipe when it is buried.