Sump Pit Not Filling.with Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sump pit not filling.with water

we just had a rain that lasted all day and my neighbors sump pump.is going off frequently. I decided to check mine out and the pit is dry as a bone. I have lived in this brand new house for over two years and it has never filled. my neighbors grass is greener where his dumps outside because his fills frequently. any ideas?

Advertisement

jdoubleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 660

And why would this be a problum?
Is your basement wet?
Proper grading, better drain tiles, land higher the the guy next door, differant landscaping, better layout of gutter drains can all have something to do with it.

Advertisement

fetzer85 (04-23-2013), jdoubleu (04-22-2013), oh'mike (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

I have gone for 4 years without my pumps running---then ,when the nearby river hits flood stage--the water table will rise and the pumps go non stop for a week---

Relax and be glad-----
fetzer85 (04-23-2013), jdoubleu (04-22-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

French drains & sump pumps are often installed in new construction, mainly because we're getting smarter. It's so much easier to install systems like that when the house is being built vs. waiting until your basement gets wet. Anymore it isn't even a question of whether or not you 'need' it, it's just an extra precautionary measure. You should be glad you have it AND glad it's empty. 100yrs ago they didn't install systems like this and also didn't waterproof their foundations. Result? More often than not, wet basements. Floors cracking from hydrostatic pressure allowing water to seep through...unsealed foundation walls either filling up w/ water or also cracking and allowing water through. Thankfully we've learned a lot in the last 100yrs which means you should have a dry basement for a very very long time.

On a side note, our sump pump runs multiple times a day regardless of whether or not it rains. Our neighbors on either side of us both have pumps that rarely run. It's just one of those things...maybe an underground spring, different dirt types...hard to say for sure. For good measure though I would suggest filling your pit w/ water to make sure your pump is working should you ever need it.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Any chance you have a fully exposed/walk-out basement? If you do, the draintile generaally run off at grade rather than collect in the sump crock. "HERE", sump crocks are mandated by code, even though some homes will never have any water, or a pump for that matter, in them.......
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote