Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump line burial

Hi,

A neighbor and I recently decided to bury our sump pump discharge lines in our back yard. Both of our houses are about 110 feet from a ditch along a highway. We have fiber optic lines and multiple telephone lines running along the ditch between our houses and the small creek. We decided we didn't want to hand dig around fiber optic lines so we would try to trench around 80 feet downhill towards the ditch and then just bury the line underground surrounding it top and bottom with pea gravel.

We used 1.5" poly pipe and started burying at a few inches under the soil and 80 ft later had worked down to about 3 feet. We capped the end with a cap with holes drilled in it and surrounded it with quite a bit of pea gravel.

My question is, will this allow enough drainage if we get heavy rain? I wouldn't want the line to back up because it couldn't pump out. We have soil that has a lot of clay in it so that's why we thought we should put pea gravel in, to give the water some room to get out.

Is that ok or should we think about digging out the end again and putting in a bigger dry well type thing? I don't think digging all the way to the ditch is going to work because of the numerous lines in the way.

Thanks

thelime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Sump line burial

Bump.

Anyone have any ideas what the best course of action would be?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Sump line burial

Drain lines need 1/4" per linear foot of angle down for good drainage.
To be honest, I don't think that that perforated cap is going to handle any heavy rain deluge when it comes.
You will probably need somthing (at a minimum, barrel size) to handle it and without any cap.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #4

Sump line burial

We did something similar at my son's house. Instead of a drainage pit with gravel, we brought the pipe to ground level and put a flush to ground pop-up . Water drains onto ground.
deejclow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #5

Sump line burial

I was thinking about that as well. In my yard I have enough slope I think to bring it ground level and let it drain out. I think that would be better than burying it in my yard. What popup did you use? I looked but I could only find a 4" one around here. I'm using 1.5" poly pipe for the buried line.

My neighbor's yard is a different ball game. He lives down the hill and his yard is very flat. We stopped burying his sump line about 80 feet from the house at about 18" deep surrounded by gravel. I'm more worried about his filling up and not being able to pump water out anymore. There isn't enough room in his to get a good slope going before a popup I don't think.

How much vertical could we have for the popup to still work? I would think much at all because then water would stay in the pipe.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #6

Sump line burial

We used the standard 4" pop up and adapted it down to our (2" I think) pipe.
As far as slope, I don't think you need as much because the pump creates pressure.As long as the outlet at the house is higher than the exit of the pipe it should empty itself after a pump cycle.
Also, there is a drain hole on bottom of pop up that you put gravel under so it will seep dry to prevent freezing. (similar to bury faucets)

deejclow is offline   Reply With Quote