Sump Hole And Water Drain Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump hole and water drain questions

I live in NJ. Been in my home 7 years and never have had water in basement. I have a sump hole boarded closed and sealed. My neighbor has a pump and it runs all the time.

I wanted to drain my dehumidifier in my sump hole and everyone tells me it's fine. The water will dissipate. Well I opened the hole and was surprised to see water in the hole. I started draining the dehumidifier in the hole and the water level continues to rise.

So it seems like this is stupid. Wish I never opened the hole.

Questions - the black sump basin. Does that have a bottom to it to allow water to escape into soil underneath?
What does it take for the water level to drop? A few dry days? To lower water table?
Should I just buy a pump

Advertisement

Ncasalejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Sump hole and water drain questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncasalejr View Post
the black sump basin. Does that have a bottom to it to allow water to escape into soil underneath?
Same way water can get in, it can get out; There should be weep holes up and down the sides of it.

Quote:
What does it take for the water level to drop? A few dry days? To lower water table?
If it is the water table; it takes season to lower/raise it as far as I know. Otherwise to lower it; you pump it.

Quote:
Should I just buy a pump
I would say yes; but then you have the concern of where to pump the water...

Advertisement

coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote