DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sump hole and water drain questions

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  coderguy 
#1 ·
I live in NJ. Been in my home 7 years and never have had water in basement. I have a sump hole boarded closed and sealed. My neighbor has a pump and it runs all the time.

I wanted to drain my dehumidifier in my sump hole and everyone tells me it's fine. The water will dissipate. Well I opened the hole and was surprised to see water in the hole. I started draining the dehumidifier in the hole and the water level continues to rise.

So it seems like this is stupid. Wish I never opened the hole.

Questions - the black sump basin. Does that have a bottom to it to allow water to escape into soil underneath?
What does it take for the water level to drop? A few dry days? To lower water table?
Should I just buy a pump

#2 ·
the black sump basin. Does that have a bottom to it to allow water to escape into soil underneath?
Same way water can get in, it can get out; There should be weep holes up and down the sides of it.

What does it take for the water level to drop? A few dry days? To lower water table?
If it is the water table; it takes season to lower/raise it as far as I know. Otherwise to lower it; you pump it.

Should I just buy a pump
I would say yes; but then you have the concern of where to pump the water...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.