Sump/Ejector Pit Not Vented! How To Fix? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump/Ejector Pit Not Vented! How to Fix?

So I bought a new house, and quickly realized that the sump/ejector pit was not properly vented. This is obvious because whenever the sump/ejector pump discharges, it vents through the sink 1/2 floor above. It is beginning to make the sink smell and ruin the porcelain. I did notice that there is a cast iron vent pipe which chases the kitchen drain and terminates into the sump . SO......

Is there a way for me to connect the mess of pipes I have into the cast iron vent? Or will the system continue to pull air through the sink? Please look at my picture attachment and comment. I really would like to avoid installing a new vent pipe.

ABOUT THE PICTURE:
- Pipe going out of the picture to the left is where the system is currently venting to.
-The outlet to the public sewer is through the page where everything converges.
-My sump pit and ejector pit are the same.
-The cast iron vent pipe follows the kitchen drain upstairs, vents the kitchen sink, and goes out though the roof.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Advertisement

ChodaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,624

I don't see a cast iron vent. What vents do you have in the basement? What plumbing fixtures go to the pump basin?

Advertisement

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

Check out a more detailed picture.

You can see the cast iron pipe going through the basement slab next to the pit. From there it angles into the pit. It also looks like it is venting the basement sink. It then follows the PVC pipe up to the ceiling and continues with it up into the kitchen and then through the roof.

There are no other vents in the basement, only that cast iron pipe.

Currently the washer, basement sink, and the basement floor drain tiles drain into the pit.

I am debating connecting the pvc pipe from the kitchen into the cast iron pipe with a 45, and making sure it is up high enough to prevent any backflow.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

I'm assuming by looking at your picture, the ejection line is on the left and the so-called "vent" is on the right.

Looks like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. There's no rigidity to the set up. It should be re-plumbed in order to not only make it "plumb", but eliminate the abundance of fernco's. It also appears there are check valves on both sides. There should only be a check valve on the ejection line. Also, the existing "vent" is tied right back into the ejection line.

The vent should come up high and be wye'd into the existing galvanized piping with no-hub couplings. Everything else should be solvent weld fittings. Include a PVC union 24" or so above the lid for future servicing. The ejection line should also be re-plumbed. Again, to make it rigid use glued fittings. If it doesn't line up, use 22's offset to line it up. A check valve and ball valve should be installed also about 24" above the lid.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

So the pipe on the right leaving the pit is intended to be the vent? I always thought it was the discharge line for the battery backup.

So if I am understanding the above post correctly, I can take the line on the right, bring it up high with no check valve, and wye it into the cast iron pipe?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

These are the thoughts that occur to me:

1. If the pump tank itself is draining and filling properly it is not necessarily the tank vent that is the problem.

2. If air is coming through the p-trap upstairs when the pump turns on, I think that you need a vent to atmosphere on that end of the plumbing system.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to start by venting the sink 1/2 floor above to the cast iron pipe and see if that corrects the problem. If it does not, I am going to reconfigure the pipes leaving the pit to contain a vent pipe to the cast iron.

I am going to tackle this problem this weekend. Ill post my solution or impending disaster either way.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

To split hairs, the "cast iron" pipe you keep refering to looks like galvanized steel to me.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
To split hairs, the "cast iron" pipe you keep refering to looks like galvanized steel to me.
Agreed. I commented that I didn't see one too.

How many pumps are in the basin? Typically, the pumps I'm around have the vent connected to the lid of the sump. You have 2 pumps? I wonder if your real problem is that your 2" line to the sewer is resticted.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

The only thing that I can say that whoever put that mess in should not be allow to breed!!, most of what you have should be ripped out and re-installed by a PLUMBER!
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (01-12-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Totally agree that's a mess and it needs to be completely redone. That being said, you can use an air admittance vent on an ejector if the plumbing is properly configured. That would save some hole-cutting and running a vent if all else fails. I'll have to look around, but Studor does have a diagram on their website showing the required configuration.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

There are two pumps inside the pit. Sump pump and backup. Backup line is the one on the right.

I really do not know where to go with this one. Been talking to different people and I get a different answer from everyone. I keep thinking that I am going to try to somehow logically hook the system into the "galvanized steel".

Right now i am leaning towards hooking the line that runs to the sink 1/2 floor above to the galvanized steel where they touch, essentially where the ferncos are. See if that quick fix will work.

If I cut the galvanized steel my only worry would be properly supporting the pipe, before and after.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodaZ View Post
There are two pumps inside the pit. Sump pump and backup. Backup line is the one on the right.

I really do not know where to go with this one. Been talking to different people and I get a different answer from everyone. I keep thinking that I am going to try to somehow logically hook the system into the "galvanized steel".

Right now i am leaning towards hooking the line that runs to the sink 1/2 floor above to the galvanized steel where they touch, essentially where the ferncos are. See if that quick fix will work.

If I cut the galvanized steel my only worry would be properly supporting the pipe, before and after.
That being said, disregard my original post. I assumed the pipe on the right was a vent. If there are 2 pumps in the basin I'm not comfortable with telling you how to re-plumb it. I'm sure there are others here that would be more helpful. That "galvanized" pipe is a vent. Don't tie the ejection line into that.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
That being said, disregard my original post. I assumed the pipe on the right was a vent. If there are 2 pumps in the basin I'm not comfortable with telling you how to re-plumb it. I'm sure there are others here that would be more helpful. That "galvanized" pipe is a vent. Don't tie the ejection line into that.
Agreed. You'll just make a loop on your pump system. Think about this, if both lines are pump lines, then you have no vent. Judging from the tank lid laying on the floor, I'd say your sump is venting into the room.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #15

There is a clear plastic cover over the pit which was installed and sealed by the company that put in my radon system. When the pump ejects water to the sewer it always makes the sink upstairs gurgle.

When I say I am going to tie into the galvanized pipe, I mean as a vent only, and not as a means to drain wastewater. I would bring a new pipe out vertically and connect it into the galvanized pipe with a wye.

Advertisement