Sump Completely Dry But Found Water In Basement? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump Completely Dry but Found water in basement?

We had a torrential downpour today (living in Central IL), and they briefly blew the sirens so my family and I went downstairs. I was shocked to see some water in one end of the basement (unfinished basement). It must have been a decent amount at one time as it appears to have covered the floor from wall to wall, but did not get into the other half of the basement.

I checked the sump, it was 100% dry... Has been dry lately, and even the floor of the sump was dry. The water was sitting around the utilities... But completely dry around water heater, and the AC drain PVC runs right over to the drain in the floor, which was also completely dry. The water is underneath the furnace, but with the AC drain appearing to work, I can't figure what water would come from it. I went out and checked, all of my downspout extensions are okay... And the weirdest part about that would be that the utilities are on the wall of the foundation with garage on other side of that wall. No flood in garage or around garage, so doesn't seem like it'd be the gutters in any case.

Any ideas? As I go through elimination it starts to feel like seepage, but I can't figure what would cause seepage with the sump dry... since that'd seem to indicate water level below sump (which is below the floor).

Advertisement

thefish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,044

Perimeter drain pipe(s) may be clogged, typically with soil that gradually washed in over the years.

These perforated pipes should have a free flow to the sump.

While the empty sump would mean that the ground water level is below the floor level there, the water level could be somewhat higher 20 feet away from the sump.

With the perimeter drain pipes clear, the ground water level all along where they run should be no higher than the pipe interior.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-08-2011 at 10:28 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Perimeter drain pipe(s) may be clogged, typically with soil that gradually washed in over the years.
Okay, how could I look for that, and what kind of remedial action could I take?
thefish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I'm a little unclear on the situation. Is there water around the furnace? If yes, improperly running equipment could be the problem. Especially with the humidity from recent days. I had a basement with wicked, flood like symptoms: the cause was the A/C not running the way it should. My best advice would be to monitor the situation: observe when you see the water.. the weather, etc.... and go from there.
brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote