Sump Basket Water - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sump basket water

I have a sump basket in my home and we have had way too much rain so far this year. The basket has been sitting with a lot of water in it now for weeks. When my house was built I had drain tile put inside and outside my home because I have a cornfield that ddrains into my property, but I did not install a pump.

I was just trying to suck the water out of the basket with a wet/dry vac and there seems to be no end.. I can't afford a pump at this time so I am concerned that if we keep getting these 100 yr rains that I am going to have a problem.

Do you have any insight into this?

Advertisement

catskattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

sump basket water

You need a sump pump in the basket.

You were lucky that the water sought (seeked) its level below the basement floor, as you saw in the basket.

Once the drain tiles collect the water the water has to go somewhere. Normally the drain tiles empty into the basket and then a sump pump gets rid of the water.

Alternatively the basket can have an outlet pipe that leaves from the bottom of the basket and runs underground and at least slightly downhill until it reaches the ground surface. Obviously this latter alternative requires a surface slope away from your house.

In addition, rainwater or gutter water should not be pooling against the foundation. You may need to regrade the land to fix this. Still better is grading the land so water from the corn field doesn't go far into your property but instead runs along the property line until it can get to a drainage ditch

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-16-2011 at 11:53 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

sump basket water

You have (2) obviouse choices, either continue to do what you have been doing to remove water (not a good option) or install a pump to remove the water as it fill the sump (better option).

I agree with the previous poster you are lucky the water is not rising above the grade of the basement floor.

Mark