Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Share |

Sulphur smell in house

We have a detached garage that was flipped into an apartment. There is a gravity feed line from the toilet to our residence where a sump pump (mascerator) ejects the waste into our home's sewer line on it's way to the street. Since the plumber installed this: 1. the pump kicks on every 10 seconds and can be heard in our home and 2. we have a sulfer smell throughout the house and is especially bad when we run our dishwasher and washing machine. We are unsuccessful in getting the plumber to return but need to get this fixed quickly. Any thoughts?

Cyndi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #2

Sulphur smell in house

What's the hot water smell like that comes out of the faucets?
Sounds more like an anode problum in the water heater then a sewer problum.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Sulphur smell in house

I had a sulfur smell coming out of my bathroom sink whenever I first turned on the water. At first I thought it might be an anode problem, but the house is brand new. I eventually figured out that it was the crud that collects in the trap generates a sulfur smell and then when you first turn on the faucet, the water displaces the nasty smelling air and pushes it out of the sink so I can smell it.

When water rushes down into the sewage tank, it displaces the nasty air that collects and may be pushing the air back up the drain lines or out through gaps in the tank into the house. If all of the vents are properly run out of the house, the the drain lines all have proper traps, and the tank is properly sealed, the sewage gas shouldn't be coming back out into the house. So, it doesn't mean there is a sewer leak, just maybe an air leak.
reblace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #4

Sulphur smell in house

how about some photos of this sewage pump and its connections. sounds like the sewage pit isn't vented properly or you bathroom sink doesn't have a trap on it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

Sulphur smell in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblace View Post
I had a sulfur smell coming out of my bathroom sink whenever I first turned on the water. At first I thought it might be an anode problem, but the house is brand new. I eventually figured out that it was the crud that collects in the trap generates a sulfur smell and then when you first turn on the faucet, the water displaces the nasty smelling air and pushes it out of the sink so I can smell it.

When water rushes down into the sewage tank, it displaces the nasty air that collects and may be pushing the air back up the drain lines or out through gaps in the tank into the house. If all of the vents are properly run out of the house, the the drain lines all have proper traps, and the tank is properly sealed, the sewage gas shouldn't be coming back out into the house. So, it doesn't mean there is a sewer leak, just maybe an air leak.
The age of the house/water heater is not that important for the rotten egg smell to come from your water heater. It is the combination of minerals in your water reacting with the sacrificial anode rod that is usually made of magnesium.

If your anode rod is the problem you can get an anode rod made of a different metal or you could swap to a Marathon water heater that does not need an anode rod since it is made of polybutene.

I do not know how a sulfur smell could come from a sewer line???? Do you have a water filtration/treatment system installed? If you do is it run with drip phosphate?
wassermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Sulphur smell in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassermeister View Post
...I do not know how a sulfur smell could come from a sewer line???? Do you have a water filtration/treatment system installed? ...
I had a similar problem as reblace, except my sewer gas like smell was coming from my shower drain (recent bath remodel).

Not sure if I can equate sewer gas smell to sulfur smell but it was pretty strong at times.

When I looked inside my drain, I noticed there were significant amount of blackish slime that were built up around the PVC cavity. After scrubbing it with old toothbrush and Ajax, and flushing down a bucket of warm water with bleach, the problem disappeared.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I don't remember having slime build up issues with my copper pipes. I wonder if there is something in copper that inhibits bacterial growth?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Sulphur smell in house

Smell can be a number of things I guess, but your pump should not cycle so often.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Sulphur smell in house

I wonder if other waste pipes from the garage are tied into it?
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Sulphur smell in house

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbsdiy View Post
Maybe it's just my experience, but I don't remember having slime build up issues with my copper pipes. I wonder if there is something in copper that inhibits bacterial growth?
Yep. copper is a killer. They put it in anti fouling paint for the bottom of your boat to keep things from growing on it

antinusk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detached garage, plumbing, sump pump, toilet