Sudden SUPER Slow Drain In Kitchen Through Disposal - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

Sudden SUPER slow drain in kitchen through disposal

I was just loading the dishwasher, rinsing out some pots and of a sudden when I run the disposal, it sucks down the water, then it throws it back up. It drains very very slowly now, but eventually it goes down. The disposal seems to run fine... it is not jammed up. I stuck my hand down there and could not feel anything. It seems like this is an issue beyond the disposal???? Any suggestions???

Another question not sure if you guys will know or not. We've got a Kenmore 3/4 HP disposal. I do not trust the guys wiring job, or his plumbing job for that matter. When I look down into the drain, it's running counter clockwise. I'm just curious if anyone knows if there's a standard direction in which the disposal turns (I'm thinking if he wired it backwards the motor may run backwards???).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Advertisement

Last edited by pcampbell; 10-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

open up the drain hose, check for an obstruction there or in the trap

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
DIY'r

Agreed, probably just your average drain clog.

It wouldn't run backwards even if the wiring was reversed. Not sure if there's a common direction for disposers.. I would have thought clockwise, but I suppose that's arbitrary. It's possible that if it has an auto-reverse jam clearing function it's running backwards.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Disconnect the trap after the disposer. This is where you will probably find a clog. If water isn't run long enough after using the disposer, food can collect in the trap. I have never seen a 110 volt motor that can have the direction changed by switching the wires. This is only possible in 220 volt.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
I was just loading the dishwasher, rinsing out some pots and of a sudden when I run the disposal, it sucks down the water, then it throws it back up. It drains very very slowly now, but eventually it goes down. The disposal seems to run fine... it is not jammed up. I stuck my hand down there and could not feel anything. It seems like this is an issue beyond the disposal???? Any suggestions
I had a similar problem last month. Open up the trap and check for any obstructions. I used a 25' 1/4" cable hand spinner to try to clear the obstruction. I used the hand spinner in the basement on another clean out to make sure the obstruction was gone. While your working under the sink make sure the dishwasher discharge line to disposer is not obstructed. IMO the garbage disposer is over-rated and I would recommend to avoid putting excess amounts of large food waste or grease down the kitchen sink.
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #6

Thanks. I guess I was trying to avoid the obvious of opening up the p-trap.

We just had this installed, maybe 6 months ago. I must say that I normally do not flush the disposal out after it's done for more than a second or two.

We now compost, so 90% of our food waste goes to the composter. We also do not eat meat so there is not much fat or oil, but there is some occasional olive and other vegetable oils.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #7

I opened up the P-trap, and it is clean. I can't seem to get a snake in because of the way the guy piped it. Rather than discharging the disposal to the back, then P-trap then hook up to the main drain, it discharges to the side, then has a series of elbows. The snake seems to get caught in those??? Should I keep trying ?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #8

My two pennies, I'd try the plundger a few times, if its a double sink, you'll have to block off the other side, wet rag, helpful if someone is holding that in place. My neighbor had an orange roll in while whe was running her disposal, took some giddy-up but finally opened up the drain line. also, just me but I noticed you mentioned putting your hand in there, no way, no how my fingers are digging around in the disposal, good luck
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #9

OK Here is the latest, I put a 25 foot 1/4" auger in there, all the way, and it is still clogged. The problem is not the disposal. Yeah I put my hand down the disposal with it unplugged.

i tried a plunger also, to no avail.... it has actually gotten WORSE, to the point where it doesn't even slow drain....

Last edited by pcampbell; 11-05-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #10

I'd try checking the main sewer line, pull some cleanouts off and take a peek, that quarter inch snake after reaching the main line wouldn't have much effect. I have no idea how your system is set up, if you have good access to the pipes, but that is what I'd try. And as for putting hand in disposal, that wasn't knock on you, is just my personal feelings, no harm intended. good luck and please post back.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

Sounds like RotoRooter time :{. Either something really simple got overlooked or this is beyond the simple fix it myself
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #12

Well, I was using a 1/4" 25 foot auger, and I think I pushed the problem down further but didn't hit the main 4" sewer yet. I went and bought a 50' 1/2" but haven't had a chance to use it. AFTER that, if it doesn't work I'm raising the white flag.

Advertisement