Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sudden no hot water pressure

House built in 07' - occupied only 1 month (by me)

Separate hot & cold valves on tub - Hot water heater waaayyy on the other side of the house. 40 gal. Electric hot water heater set at 145.

Although I have taken many baths here - no problem except hot seems to run out faster than I would expect, today when I turned on the hot water valve (cold was OFF) it ran normally for about 5 seconds, then reduced to a trickle. Then there was a sound of water running in the pipes that lasted 3-4 seconds.

Tried it again, same thing. Tried it again, same thing.

Have noticed since moving in that when you shower you almost need straight hot and the hot runs out after 10 mins. So much for showering with a friend.

What's going on?

Thanks!

Italgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Does the hot water in the sink do the same thing?

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #3

No, the pressure in the sinks seems fine.

Genius here (LOL) Cold water pressure just as bad, fine at first, then a trickle.

My husband did say that the pressure seemed low in his shower this morning. I took a bath in my daughter's bathroom and the pressure was low there too, although none is a trickle like mine, but mine is at the farthest point in the house.

Last edited by Italgrl; 03-22-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #4

No matter how many times I turn the water on / off - it ALWAYS is full pressure for about 5 seconds when I first turn it on.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

(copied from another thread)
May be some foreign matter in the hot pipe. When you turn on the water, the matter goes with the flow and lodges somewhere such as in the faucet or valve, blocking the flow. When you turn off the water in disgust, the matter slowly floats back down, out of the way.

Another possibility, the shower valve has an anti-scald feature that is out of adjustment or has a loose part that kills the hot flow going through.

If you need to adjust the water so the hot is on quite high and the cold mixed in is quite low and also you are not using one of those low flow shower restrictors, then ten minutes before the water cools down is not unusual. Four gallons per minute is not unusual for a shower without a restrictor and that will empty out a 40 gallon water heater in less than minutes since by the time you get to the last few gallons of hot water, that is somewhat commingled with new incoming cold water.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-22-2010 at 05:13 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

check if you have a strainer or pressure reducing valve (PRV)at meter. prv looks like bell with screw coming out of the top. one of these could be blocked. assuming your not on well water. if you are it could be a problem with the well tank. recovery on 40 gal elec tank is bad especially with several people using. you might want to upgrade to 75 gal.
just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
check if you have a strainer or pressure reducing valve (PRV)at meter. prv looks like bell with screw coming out of the top. one of these could be blocked. assuming your not on well water. if you are it could be a problem with the well tank. recovery on 40 gal elec tank is bad especially with several people using. you might want to upgrade to 75 gal.

Strainer would be both HOT AND COLD.

75 gallon? Really?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #8

Just found out it was the city and a pressure problem in my entire neighborhood.

Thanks to all that took their time to answer!

You guys are the best!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Strainer would be both HOT AND COLD.

75 gallon? Really?
and in her 2nd post she said that it was both hot and cold.
40 gallon electric hwh has first hr delivery of 43-48 gallon based on 50 degree incoming water. don't know where she was located but the delta t drops off dramatically with colder incoming water temps. But for the sake of argument will say her incoming water temp is 50, average hot to cold ratio is 60-70 % hot while showering. that gives approxamately 25 mins based on a standard shower head (2.2 gpm) of hot water for showering. Now if we divide that by at least the 3 people that we know of (her, her husband and daughter) that offers approx 8.9 min each first hr of hot water. with a 20 gph recovery. She also said that she likes to take baths standard tub is approx 50 gallon which means she could fill her tub as long as she dosen't need any more hot water for the next 2 hours while her 40 gallon tank recovers. larger soaking tubs can be in excess of 200 gallons. And truth be told she said that she dosen't get enough hot water. Are you opposed to having a storage tank large enough to offer her a reserve of hot water? Once satisfied the tank will use no more energy than her 40 gallon.
just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Jeff McDonald 416 618-147

Rewards Points: 10

I just had the same problem and its now 100% fixed. I was doing dishes yesterday when the hot water slowed to a trickle. All hot taps in the house did the same, no pressure at all. The Fix - There is a part called a heat trap where the main (cold) water supply goes into the tank (on the top). Its a small plastic ball that sits inside the fitting on the top of the tank. The plastic ball was stuck up in the fitting causing a 90% blockage. The small amount of water that was passing through is why there would be a small of water flowing for a few seconds. I replaced the fitting and its perfect, easy fix.

This part is rare as the manufacturer only used them for a few years (go figure, too many problems). The Heat Trap is there to stop a back flow of water in the tank, not sure how that can happen.

I hope this helps

WestEndReno is offline   Reply With Quote