Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Share |

Submersible Pump Repair

I have three questions below; Id welcome comments to all of them. Thank you.

I recently had work done on my well and the installer repaired the blue poly tubing. He used a brass fitting (the kind with barbed male ends) and hose clamps. I watched him do it and it seemed like the repair was strong, the clamps just tight enough, so overall, a job well done. My well is 505 feet deep, and the supply line goes down about 350 feet. The repair was made at about 200 feet from the pump (150 from the top of the well).

Afterwards, I got to thinking that this might be a point of failure in the future. If it disconnected, I would have a pump with 200 feet of supply line at the bottom of my well.

1 - How likely is it that the hose disconnects at this point?
2 - Assuming it did, would there be any way to grab the top of the hose (about 300 feet below ground) and pull it up?
3 - If this thing could not be pulled up, is it likely I could insert a new pump in the same well, or would I be looking at needing a new well?

lorenzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Submersible Pump Repair

When you are spending money on such repairs:
A. Always use a Licensed professional (with references is a plus too)
B. Use only one who gives you a written guarantee
C. Ask for proof of their being Bonded and Insured
Follow those three rules and you won't worry about such things. The post you have up is very hard for anyone to reply to without a great deal of detail.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Submersible Pump Repair

The bottom line to me is this: What is holding the weight of the pump and all associated piping? Are you saying the "blue poly tubing" is the only source of holding the weight of the pump? Is there no metallic cable involved here which hold the actual weight of the pump itself? Things are different in your area if this is so. Here, metal piping is required to be connected to the pump for it's entire length within the well casing, plus 24" above ground. This would be for both the water supply and to hold the weight of the pump. A suitable clamping mechanism is used at the top. UNLESS, a suitable metallic cable is used to hold the weight of the pump and the associated piping, which then can be a poly type piping. The metal cable is then clamped at the top, with the poly piping holding little or no weight. Just saying, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

Submersible Pump Repair

Hi David -

I should have stated that there is no cable; the only thing holding the pump is the tubing itself. Apparently that is not required in my area. I have spoken to a handful of neighbors in my subdivision who have had well repairs for different reasons (all of whom had the same initial installer), and none of them have such a cable. I have also spoken with another well contractor who told me that he felt the cable was unnecessary.

I learned about the possibility of using a cable after my recent repair, when a different licensed contractor opened my well, made a few repairs, including the splice to the tubing. I went online to educate myself. So now I am thinking it might be worth it for me to reopen it one more time and install the cable as an insurance policy.

Thanks for the comment and I appreciate whatever thoughts you might have.
lorenzom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #5

Submersible Pump Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofmany View Post
When you are spending money on such repairs:
A. Always use a Licensed professional (with references is a plus too)
B. Use only one who gives you a written guarantee
C. Ask for proof of their being Bonded and Insured
Follow those three rules and you won't worry about such things. The post you have up is very hard for anyone to reply to without a great deal of detail.
Always great advise.

However, this time it won't work.

Using or, not using a safety devise is a judgment call of the driller or, pump installer.

Many use them and many feel they cause problems.

I do not use them.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Submersible Pump Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Green View Post
Always great advise.

However, this time it won't work.

Using or, not using a safety devise is a judgment call of the driller or, pump installer.

Many use them and many feel they cause problems.

I do not use them.
could you explain how an attached cable might cause a problem?

Personally, a pump hanging on the end of 350 of poly pipe that now has a splice in it that is twisted every time the well fires up doesn't seem all that secure to me. I could be wrong but then again...
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #7

Submersible Pump Repair

i sure would have a cable on my pump. Guess who would buy a pump or try and get the one off of the bottom ? The installer get's you in the end again. I belive the installer is using poor judgement here. Guess who will come out the best in the long run?? good luck on the repair. Sure would make me think. A hose clamp. sure seam's like a poor time to use one. Oh it mite be a couple yrs before the pump goes down to the bottom
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

Submersible Pump Repair

500 feet is not particulary deep as wells go. We hang pumps on 1" PE using barbed fittings all the time. If properly made up the coupling will not fail. Most installers do not use safety rope or cable because rope tends to rot out and fall into the well and stainless cable has a nasty habit of jamming up in the casing when the pump is pulled. Quit worrying and enjoy the water.
Mr. Green (09-17-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #9

Submersible Pump Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
could you explain how an attached cable might cause a problem?

Personally, a pump hanging on the end of 350 of poly pipe that now has a splice in it that is twisted every time the well fires up doesn't seem all that secure to me. I could be wrong but then again...
It can make the pump harder or, impossible to pull.

Pumps in 4" steel wells are hard to pull at times without the extra bulk.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Submersible Pump Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
500 feet is not particulary deep as wells go. We hang pumps on 1" PE using barbed fittings all the time. If properly made up the coupling will not fail. Most installers do not use safety rope or cable because rope tends to rot out and fall into the well and stainless cable has a nasty habit of jamming up in the casing when the pump is pulled. Quit worrying and enjoy the water.
It would seem if the cable is used to pull the pump, you would never have that jamming problem. If I were your prospective customer, I would have to require you to contract to pull a pump for free should it become disconnected from the pipe and you did not include a cable.

Obviously, from what you have stated, that would simply mean you would not be the guy putting in my pump but that really wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I just believe in the old adage; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I think this speaks volumes:

Quote:
If properly made up the coupling will not fail.
IF. That is a very big word for having only 2 letters.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

Submersible Pump Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
It would seem if the cable is used to pull the pump, you would never have that jamming problem. If I were your prospective customer, I would have to require you to contract to pull a pump for free should it become disconnected from the pipe and you did not include a cable.

Obviously, from what you have stated, that would simply mean you would not be the guy putting in my pump but that really wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I just believe in the old adage; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I think this speaks volumes:

IF. That is a very big word for having only 2 letters.
Only in a perfect world.

Steel wells get very "cruded" up inside. If you have a 4" pump in a 4" well, many times it isn't coming out at all.

They will break off. So will ropes and cables.