Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Submersible pump plumbing

I am in the process of upgrading my water well which currently has a Franklin control box 2801054915 which indicates the motor is a 1/2 HP, single phase, 230 Volt motor (no records left by previous owners). I removed the control box cover and narrowed it down as indicated. I live on a property in a rural area inSouth Texas on 2-1/4 acres and I want to install an irrigation system on just over an acre of St. Augustine grass. The bucket test revealed a flow rate of 5 gals per minute at 50 psi.

I contacted the original builder (house built in 1994) to determine who installed the well but the builder claims his records only go back to 1998. I don't know for sure how deep the water level is but several neighbors say it is about 80'. My next door neighbor has records and his well was drilled to 200' with his pump set at 100'. I was going to remove the well seal ring on the 4" PVC casing and pull the unit to determine exactly what the water table was but the four bolt heads are completely corroded off the top of the cast iron ring. I would like suggestions on removal of this well seal ring. I did contact three well drillers who drilled some of the wells in my area but none of them took credit for my well and apparently there was no record filled with the state as I searched. Most agreed the water table was around 100'. The water tested Iron at 1 PPM, Hardness 22 GPG, Alkalinity 272 PPM 16 grains, Total Dissolved Solids 700 PPM, pH 6.8.

I went ahead and ordered a replacement Gould motor and pump asembly 18GS15432, which is a 3 phase, 230V unit with a BF20 controller. Basically, a constant pressure system. Currently, the plumbing is 1" PVC from the well head on underground to the outside Gould V-140 water storage tank (45 gallon) with the pipe run being 120' to the tank. Inside the garage where the water flows from the tank, is a whole house pre-filter utilizing a Whirlpool WHKF-GD05 filter which is a 5 micron filter; then water flows on to the Kenmore Genius II water softener. The bypass valve seems to have problems because when I push it in to water the lawn using traveling sprinklers and later pull the control on the valve out the water coming from the various house internal faucets has hard iron water even though we may not have use anything in the interim while watering the lawn. In my new irrigation system, do I need to install a backflow preventer on the main line after I branch the 1-1/4" PVC line? I plan on using 1-1/4 PVC to both the water storage tank and irrigation primary line. It seems this backflow preventer would elimiante this issue. What are your thought?

What is the recommended plumbing out of the well seal ring to the 1-1/4" PVC main line? I was planning on using an elbow and just run straight pipe about 2' then go down into the ground and run on to the water storage tank where I would place a shutoff valve. I bought a 1-1/2" PVC union with reducer fittings for the 1-1/4" PVC so as not to reduce the inside diameter using the 1-1/4" union but figure to just keep it on hand should I ever need to cut into the line to remove the pump assembly. Should I go ahead and install a union at this point in time?

I figure on using new 12 gauge stranded wiring down to the pump motor after splicing it with a heat shrink splice kit and installing an outdoor electrical box at the well head that would tie into the existing 12 gauge wiring where the Franklin control bos now sits. This would inturn feed the BF20 Gould control box back by the water storage tank. I would remove the pressure switch since this control has a sensor. I'm a little uncertain about the storage tank empty air pressure with this constant pressure system. I was told to set it 20 psi below the minimum cutoff pressure on the controller yet someone else said to leave it at what you now have it now set which is 2 psi below the 27 psi cutoff pressure using the pressure switch. What would be recommended for this air pressure?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all suggestions and recommendations. I don't have the pump yet so I have more planning time as I plan on doing this upgrade once I have dug a new main line to the storage tank.
cwalt43 is offline   Reply With Quote