Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

studor vents

can anyone tell me the reliablity of the studor vent? Should it be used or tell the contractors to use a more convensional venting system.

raymetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

studor vents

When I roughed my basement for a sewage ejection pump, the plumber used them. When I got around to having the pump actually installed, a different plumber did the install. He recommended venting through the roof. Everything worked fine for a couple of weeks until I got around to doing the "through the roof". I understand the biggest drawback is the possibility of "not so pleasant" odors getting vented out. In my case it would have been in my shop and/or the "partial" craw space. And I understand that the studors can eventually fail which could cause draining issues for the device hooked to them.......

Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

studor vents

They can fail so you need to have access to them. I have had them stick closed but never had one leak sewer gas into a house. If you are really worried you could replace it every 5 years or so. My preffrence is to vent through the roof but I would not hesitate to use an automatic vent just never on a commode.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #4

studor vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymetfan View Post
can anyone tell me the reliablity of the studor vent? Should it be used or tell the contractors to use a more convensional venting system.
Perhaps you should check with your local inspector. In many locations such vent (air admittance) valves are illegal.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #5

studor vents

To me the big advantage of AAVs is that you don't need to vent up through the roof. "Just vent through the roof" is easy to say, but can be much harder to do if you need to open a bunch of walls and ceilings to do it (oh and open the roof). I used one on my washing machine drain, much simpler than the alternative.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #6

studor vents

They're fairly relaible. But like any mechanical device they can fail. They're required to be accessible for that reason. You can't use them exclusively on a new home or major remodel, but for little jobs like adding laundry sinks, bars, or ejectors in finished basements below the sewer they do have their place.

Always best to check with the inspector, although the plumbing code does allow them.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote