Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Share |

Stud in middle of tub/shower plumbing wall.

Ok, so, I mostly did this to myself but could use some advice how to get around it!

I had an alcove tub/shower that Im replacing in a bathroom reno project. What I decided to do was basically flip the tub around in the alcove. (so it's a LHD instead of a RHD). This was done to be able to remove the wall on the one side of the alcove. It was a short wall that seperated the tub from the toilet. What this did was allow me to make a half wall, with glass on top, to make the room seem more spacious and allow more light, and not make the toilet area seem so enclosed. However, I needed to move the plumbing all to the other side. The drain was easy enough to move over. The supply lines also work out ok. The problem comes in that I went from a 30" tub to a 32" tub width wise, as it fit in the alcove. However, on the new wall where the plumbing goes, there is a stud smack dab at 16" pretty much on that wall. Since it's now an outside wall of the bathroom rather than a small interior wall, there is a closet on the other side and I can't just easily take out / move the stud. Luckily, the center of the but didn't also fall on a joist, I got lucky there! Anyhow, any suggestions on what to do now? I already cut out a section of the stud on the bottom, to allow access to the tub drain to install the tub from the closet side. But I now need to put in a mixer and tub spout, on center. Do I just cut out sections of the stud? It was easy on the bottom because I cut out the plaster on the other side as well...however, for the plumbing, I just want to remove the stud, while leaving the wall on the other side if I can. Ive considered trying to saw through all the nails from the plaster on the other side, but that doesn't seem like an easy task, let alone the vibrations cracking the plaster on the other side?

CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

through another stud on either side after you get your valve all plumbed on or if you do it before leave yourself enough room to plumb the valve. on one job we finally got the framers to start with a stud 8 inches off the back wall and then go 16 for the next and it worked great.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Sounds great.
Any idea/suggestion how to actually remove the one in the middle though without having to damage the wall on the other side?

Thanks!
CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote