Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stuck faucet valve steam has no hex/packing nuts?

I'm trying to fix a drip/leaky bath tub faucet, and I am unable to remove the valve stem for the cold water. From what I can tell there are not any packing or hex nuts on the assembly. I don't really know what I'm looking at though. I tried to get a few photos to show what I'm talking about. The end of the stem in the photos appears to go directly into the piping inside the wall, it attaches inside of an elbow joint. I guess I may have to knock some of the tile out or something, in case I am just not able to see everything, but there doesn't appear to be any nuts back there either

The threads you can see on the ends appear to just be for the chrome sleeve/escutcheon to screw onto, as the threads end before going into the next piping in the wall.

Any help/tips would be much appreciated. I'm new to plumbing work and like I said, don't really know what I'm looking at. Thanks

leemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

That picture at the bottom.
You see the big part on the left side with all the teeth marks on it? I'm thinking that part screws into the fitting just behind the wall. It looks like the teeth marks are from where someone used channel locks or a pipe wrench to tighten that in there at one time or another. Might try some lubricant spray and let it soak-looks like they've been there awhile. And i believe i'd have somebody behind there with a backup wrench on the other side if you've got access to it.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 02-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Well, that's the thing. I was also thinking the same thing and the teeth marks you're seeing may be from me trying to loosen it. Then I looked closer and notice that those threads actually end, as in there are no more threads where it goes into the pipe in the wall. So it seems like those threads are there in order to thread the chrome sleeve onto the valve(for the handle), rather than to actually thread the piece into another pipe.

Not sure if that makes any sense, having a hard time describing it. Maybe I will try a better photo of that section.

I did try some white vinegar, but perhaps I will try some more and let it soak in overnight
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

Actually if you look at the first photo above, you can see what I'm talking about.. The threading ends and after that its all just part of the same piece. It doesn't appear to thread into the piping behind the wall, unless there are threads that are not visible at the very end, where the piece slopes outward into a larger piece.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

from looking at the top picture, i still think it screws in there. I think the threads for it are bottomed out just below the surface of that piece in the wall. Maybe a "real" plumber will be by shortly and confirm my suspicions or tell me to stick with cars
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

That is basically the only option that makes any sense to me. But since I don't know what I'm looking at, I didn't want to just go with it and break something
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemort View Post
But since I don't know what I'm looking at, I didn't want to just go with it and break something
you do that too?
glad to know i'm not alone
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

TTT for leMort
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #9

Another fellow has told me its an American Standard stem, part# 711-1520, and that there is suppose to be a flat spot on the stem for unscrewing.

I'm not totally sure what this means though.. I guess the flat spot is used to grip on or for a socket?

Trying to find any info about this specific stem or type of stem on the internet is a major pain!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #10

if you look at that picture, the flat spot is right where the actual splined stem enters the body of the bigger piece. From the looks of your original pix, the flat spot is long gone.
BUT, by looking at this latest pic, you can see where the threads are (at the very top of the widest portion of the pic) which threads in to the part behind the wall.
Somehow, you've got to get that part out (probably with a small pipe wrench or vice grips). I still believe i'd let it soak at least overnight in some wd-40 or similar solvent/lubricant before i went wrenchin on it. You are probably going to destroy it (even more than it already is), but it has to come out.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 02-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #11

That's also pretty much what I've figured at this point. I'm probably going to order a replacement stem before attempting, since it needs replacing and I'm only able to find a couple shops online that carry the part- so I doubt I'll find it at a local shop.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Go to menards or whatever is close and look for a set of the stamped steel sockets for removing stems and heating elements,there will be 4-5 double ended sockets and a handle/rod that comes in the set.
The hex head for the stem is just past your picture inside the wall
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip on the socket set, I will get those also.

Regarding the hex head being just past the stem inside the wall, that is what I am partly confused about.. It appears that the rest of the stem (where the hex nut and everything else would be) goes inside of pipe/elbow joint which attaches to the water pipe inside the wall.

Maybe I will see I'm wrong about that if I remove some tile, but getting up close as possible with a flashlight, that is what it appears to be setup like.

Seems like a really strange/incorrect installation to me?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Thats pretty common install actually,just set a little deeper into the wall.
Im thinking the hex head is just past the piece that you see in the picture that looks like a brass ring around outside of stem in the picture
Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
retired elect/hvac/plumb

If you look at the top of the stem in picture 1 as far back as you can that almost looks like one of the flat sides of a hexagon to me anyway