Stubborn Tub Drip - Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Stubborn tub drip - help

I have an American Standard single faucet fixture in our tub - It's been dripping for a while. I finally pulled the cartridge today and replaced it and it didn't help one iota. What the heck? Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Thanks.

Missy

Advertisement

Missy Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Stubborn tub drip - help

Did you get everything back in correctly? Are there any other adjustment or service points?

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #3

Stubborn tub drip - help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Did you get everything back in correctly? Are there any other adjustment or service points?
Well, it was hardly complicated. Exactly three screws to detach and attach the cartridge. No other adjustment points that I can see aside from tightening these screws (and perhaps the screws on the piece behind it - but these are already very tight. Also - it is the cartridge and its workings that regulate the flow of water from drip to stream and it ought to be in that piece that the drip should be remedied - right? Am I missing something here???

thanks.
M.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,344

Stubborn tub drip - help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy Bloom View Post
I have an American Standard single faucet fixture in our tub - It's been dripping for a while. I finally pulled the cartridge today and replaced it and it didn't help one iota. What the heck? Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?Thanks.Missy
Possibly o-ring got misaligned or slipped off during replacement. Try again and use a little lube on cartdrige.

Just a suggestion, if you don't mine waiting a couple days, go online or call american standard, and explain to them your issue. They have a lifetime waranty on most of their residential faucets. They may send you a complete rebuild kit for it, which includes pressure balancer, cartdrige, instructions, and lube for free. Scale and debris builds up over time. Best to rebuild it with all new parts.

Stay tuned, let's see what others recommend/suggest.

Last edited by jmon; 01-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Stubborn tub drip - help

I have the same problem with my american standard tub/shower faucet. I replaced the gaskets and lubed everything up and it still has a slow drip. I will be calling american standard soon to see what info they can provide to fix the problem. I'm hoping there is not a defect in the mixing valve body.
dannyoung85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #6

Stubborn tub drip - help

Yeah - good point about calling American Standard. I think I'll do that too.

With this particular faucet, there are no points to lube, no o-ring to situate or jostle. It's just a fully contained cartridge that is screwed on at three points. The handle part moves, of course, but there are no adjustment points here, like I said. The points of contact are surrounded by rubber gaskets , but there is no "seating" the unit.

So yeah - I'm thinking it must be an American STandard problem that I hope they'll be willing to fix quickly.

Thanks
m.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Missy Bloom For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-15-2014)