DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stubbing tpr pipe outside

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  jimmy21 
#1 ·
I need to install my tpr pipe to go outside and I just wanted to make sure I did it correctly. The water heater is on an outside wall. Do I put any kind of a union before it goes in to the wall? Is there any kind trim piece I need to buy to make it look decent on the outside of the house?

#10 ·
I wouldn't bother with trim, just caulk.

If you're using CVPC, i wouldn't bother with a union. CPVC is easy to cut and cheap as dirt to replace if you ever have to cut it.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC
#17 ·
Then it overflows at the air gap..... :jester:
My neighboring city of Spokane wants the air gap just for that reason.
If you have a dripping relief valve, the dripping water may ice shut during our not-so-rare, zero degree weeks- as it hits the exterior point.
Now, if that valve should then decide to discharge at 100% it can relieve at the air gap instead of against an ice dam.

BTW- only a short section needs to be 2 diameters larger (1.25") This is to indirectly receive the 3/4 line from the valve. The rest of the indirect line to the exterior can be 3/4"- Like a funnel....

Ghost's code will probably be different- he's not out west like us......:jester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.