Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Strength Of PVC pipe cement

I was loosening the washer machine hoses and wanted to know if I twisted the hoses in the wrong direction and applied just an average amount of force would I have possibly caused the cement that holds the PVC together to come apart and possibly leak. I don't know what the strength of PVC pipe cement is. I had to disconnect the washer because the two cats I just got could damage something. Guess all I can do is wait and see what happens. Don't actually know if I screwed up going clockwise when I should have went counter clockwise while loosening hose. I thought that the PVC pipe along the wall could have loosened. Really the question I am asking is how strong is the PVC pipe cement ???? Hopefully everything will be ok and I won't have to replace PVC pipe. Avoid another plumber bill. Plumber would charge a lot for copper pipes. That is probably what my plumber would want to do and charge a lot of money. Me or a contractor would have to take sheet rock off wall and go under house and replace pipe. Would be too complicated for me. So doing things simple for now and just wondering about strength of PVC pipe cement. May call plumber and get his advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Strength Of PVC pipe cement-plumber-444.jpg  

Last edited by steve3847; 08-01-2012 at 09:14 AM.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

Here is wire mesh hoses I used. Along with one of my cats. Disconnecting washer for now. Thought cat was too young to jump on washer but he jumped up there today. Male cat gets bigger and stronger everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Strength Of PVC pipe cement-plumber-9944.jpg  

Last edited by steve3847; 08-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.
steve3847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
DIY staff

PVC 'cement' is actually a solvent that welds the two pieces together---if properly applied--you will break the pipe before you break the weld--those parts are melted together--
plummen (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

It appears you have CPVC piping and fittings--not PVC. PVC is not approved under most codes for indoor supply plumbing and PVC is not suitable for hot water while CPVC is approved under most codes and is suitable for hot water.

CPVC is solvent welded and, as Mike posted, solvent welds that are properly done are as strong as the material itself.

However plastic pipe and fittings are not strong in tension and a male brass or copper fitting should never be used with a female plastic fitting--and that is what you have. This is also not approved under any code I am familiar with.

You should change that out promptly to use a plastic female fitting with a male brass fitting to avoid problems down the road.

Last edited by Bob999; 08-01-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Add information
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

when playing with plastic water pipes ..always ..always use 2-wrenches one for a backup so you don't twist the other and break it
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-01-2012), oh'mike (08-01-2012), plummen (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #6

That is most likely not PVC, it's CPVC. Typically CPVC would be used for hot water source, while PVC is used for drain water.

The glue itself is not very strong. But, it's not the glue that really holds the pipe joints. The "glue" is really a solvent for the plastic pipe. It chemically "melts" the plastic and the plastic hardens back again. You've effectively welded the pipe together, so if it's glued correctly, it simply is not coming apart, period. At each joint you've got double the amount of plastic of everywhere else in the pipe system, so the joints are strong. Of course, that's usually where all the stress is too, and they might not have been joined correctly (common), so you could still have a problem.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
a male brass or copper fitting should never be used with a female plastic fitting...

You should change that out promptly to use a plastic female fitting with a male brass fitting to avoid problems down the road.
I think you have you genders reversed in that last one.

To the OP, is there anything to grab onto in the area other than those handles? If someone puts their weight onto them (kid climbing, someone slipping and trying to steady themselves, etc.), those elbows probably won't last. I'd suggest thinking about replacing with metal until you can secure the protrusion to the wood.

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 08-01-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: grammar
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a_lost_shadow For This Useful Post:
Bob999 (08-02-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
I think you have you genders reversed in that last one.

To the OP, is there anything to grab onto in the area other than those handles? If someone puts their weight onto them (kid climbing, someone slipping and trying to steady themselves, etc.), those elbows probably won't last. I'd suggest thinking about replacing with metal until you can secure the protrusion to the wood.
Thanks for the correction--Plastic should be male and brass should be female.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
However plastic pipe and fittings are not strong in tension and a male brass or copper fitting should never be used with a female plastic fitting--and that is what you have. This is also not approved under any code I am familiar with.

He's got a combination cpvc/brass fitting. They are epoxied/cast together with an o-ring between the two materials. I would however, be concerned with those washing machine supplies. They don't really look like the right ones to me. That one looks kinked, and they don't normally kink like that. At least not easily.

Those fittings are just fine the way they are. Use two wrenches if you're going to try to take those apart.

Last edited by Alan; 08-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

This is what I See in the image.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...le-adapter.jpg
Old 08-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

CPVC pipe is far more likely to crack somewhere near the joint, than the joint itself to fail. Once you "glue" it, it's basically like double-thick CPVC at that area. It's the area right nearby that might crack. Turn the water on and look very carefully for any drips. Some might take an hour to develop and it might be down lower. Check carefully with your hand, or with a blue shop towel that will turn dark blue if it touches water.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
bbo

you still a little off thinking your cats are going to somehow damage the washer hoses.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote