DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Strapping copper (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/strapping-copper-169374/)

digitalplumber 01-17-2013 12:06 PM

Strapping copper
 
Am strapping vertical runs about every 18 inches. I am wondering about horizontal, doesn't there have to be some freedom on the horizontal runs?

Thanks

TheEplumber 01-17-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1095628)
Am strapping vertical runs about every 18 inches. I am wondering about horizontal, doesn't there have to be some freedom on the horizontal runs?

Thanks

Use plastic anchors at max spacing of 6ft for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe. I usually go 4ft. Plastic anchors will allow some movement

digitalplumber 01-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber

Use plastic anchors at max spacing of 6ft for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe. I usually go 4ft. Plastic anchors will allow some movement

Ok so should these be loose or snug? Also I already bought copper and was using a thin rubber seal if you will between the clamp an pipe, on the verticals.

TheEplumber 01-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1095632)
Ok so should these be loose or snug? Also I already bought copper and was using a thin rubber seal if you will between the clamp an pipe, on the verticals.

The talons(first image) shown in this link work very well on pex or copper. They shield the pipe from direct contact with wood- no need for cushion strips
http://www.siouxchief.com/Support/Supply-Hangers

jagans 01-17-2013 01:29 PM

Ive used copper straps on copper pipe with copper nails for 45 years and never had a problem, so what are you all talking about ?????

TheEplumber 01-17-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalplumber (Post 1095628)
Am strapping vertical runs about every 18 inches. I am wondering about horizontal, doesn't there have to be some freedom on the horizontal runs?

Thanks

Aren't you replumbing a whole house?
Get some pictures up sometime so we can pick you apart :jester::thumbup:

digitalplumber 01-17-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagans (Post 1095667)
Ive used copper straps on copper pipe with copper nails for 45 years and never had a problem, so what are you all talking about ?????


My original post deals with horizontal runs, I know copper needs to be able to move a little. Was wanting to know how to do that.

digitalplumber 01-17-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1095912)
Aren't you replumbing a whole house?
Get some pictures up sometime so we can pick you apart :jester::thumbup:


Yep and nope!:no: I'm no fool! Well maybe, this is the first bath and we are close to connecting back to the existing galvanized. Need to secure, cap toilet line, sink and connect main leads back to hot and cold, then look for leaks.

maybe if i fire it up, and there are no leaks i may brave the ridicule!:thumbup:

oh'mike 01-17-2013 07:29 PM

Good luck with the fire up---

If you have some one else turn on the water--listen for air hissing---try to stop the water before the air leaker becomes a wet joint---less time wasted waiting for the water to drain out for the fix----

digitalplumber 01-17-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1095944)
Good luck with the fire up---

If you have some one else turn on the water--listen for air hissing---try to stop the water before the air leaker becomes a wet joint---less time wasted waiting for the water to drain out for the fix----


Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.