Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Strange Vent?

Some time ago while doing wiring work in my attic, I noticed a galvanized pipe, either 1-1/2" or 2" coming down from the roof line and entering a wall. From the outside, the pipe can be seen protruding from the roof like a typical vent. What is odd is that there is a second vent, quite remote from the subject line that I have traced and found to be used for that purpose, i.e. a vent for what appears to be all of the plumbing in the house. The other/unknown line is no where near any of the house plumbing or any fixtures. It appears to travel down to a crawl space into which it opens/ends with no further connection or cap.

My house is 100 years old and although I have found a lot of "creative" work that previous owners have done (mostly electrical, framing and bathroom air venting), I cannot for the life of me understand what this line is doing or why it would have been installed. Of course, in speaking to a lot of old timers, I have been educated in many archaic practices, the lessons of which usually begin with "Oh yeah, way back when they used to do [that] for [this purpose] and before codes existed...."

Has anyone ever come across something like this? As I said, I am about 99.9% sure that it doesn't tie into any of the plumbing.

Baffled I am,
Jimmy

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #2

Strange Vent?

Could be that over the years that particular vent was abandoned, as 'upgrades' were made.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Strange Vent?

Our house isn't as old as yours but still pretty old. We have an abandoned vent from where the old-timey kitchen stove used to be (back when our house still had no bathroom).
BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote