Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Strange Plumbing Problem

Here is an interesting situation. My bathtub faucets have been dripping over the last month or so. If no water in the house has been used, the drip will be pretty slow (every 5-10 seconds). After a shower, there is a constant stream of water coming out after the taps have been shut off. I took it apart but the faucet was too complex for my limited plumbing knowledge.

One thing that concerns me is that if I turn on the kitchen sink or the bathroom sink, the bathtub faucet will immediately start dripping more water. I'm not why this is. I have had a leaky faucet before but it was only related to that particular faucet, I am not sure how turning on the sink in the kitchen can cause the tub faucets to increase the dripping.
Any suggestions?

A few other notes. I am on a well and septic, not sure if that matters. I plan on renovating the bathroom in another couple of months, new tub, toilet, vanity, etc. I am hoping once we tear everything out, we can locate the problem and fix it. No other leaks anywhere. Bathroom and kitchen are fine. I checked all of the exposed pipes in the basement and they are all dry as a bone.

elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Strange Plumbing Problem

Rubber washers inside the valves need replacing?

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Strange Plumbing Problem

Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed it was the washers, but does this make sense on how the dripping increases rapidly when turning on other water sources?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Strange Plumbing Problem

I don't know alot about well and pumps - but my first thought is that your pump needs some tlc.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I don't know alot about well and pumps - but my first thought is that your pump needs some tlc.
Heh, I live with well and septic, and the last thing something like this could be is the pump. If the pump were bad, then you'd get _no_ water, not massive amounts as you relieve pressure in the system.

With that said, since the pressure varies with a well system (at least in my case), water leaking out at a faster rate when another faucet is open, does make sense to me.

My pump kicks on@30PSI and shuts off at 50PSI. Sounds to me like pressure is dropping with the leaky faucet, and once another faucet is turned on, pressure drops low enough to kick on the well pump, which will then increase pressure and cause the leak to worsen.

Not that I'm a pro or anything.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Strange Plumbing Problem

what kind of faucet do you have?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
Heh, I live with well and septic, and the last thing something like this could be is the pump. If the pump were bad, then you'd get _no_ water, not massive amounts as you relieve pressure in the system.

With that said, since the pressure varies with a well system (at least in my case), water leaking out at a faster rate when another faucet is open, does make sense to me.

My pump kicks on@30PSI and shuts off at 50PSI. Sounds to me like pressure is dropping with the leaky faucet, and once another faucet is turned on, pressure drops low enough to kick on the well pump, which will then increase pressure and cause the leak to worsen.

Sounds like an excellent theory to me, sir.

I recommend fixing the leaky faucet, and going from there.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #8

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I just moved into the house a few months ago and am unfamiliar with how a well and septic system works. I have a blue cylinder/tub thing in the basement which I think is the pump but am not sure.

I will try and take some pictures of the pump and the faucets and post them on here. If it is just the particular faucet that is faulty, I can live with that. As mentioned, I was a little worried that the plumbing throughout the house would be bad.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Military Mom of 4

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
Thanks for the response. I just moved into the house a few months ago and am unfamiliar with how a well and septic system works. I have a blue cylinder/tub thing in the basement which I think is the pump but am not sure.

I will try and take some pictures of the pump and the faucets and post them on here. If it is just the particular faucet that is faulty, I can live with that. As mentioned, I was a little worried that the plumbing throughout the house would be bad.
If the faucet is faulty you don't have to live with it - you can fix it.

Everything in your home needs routine maintenance - especially water-carrying components that are under pressure and subject to hot/cold fluctuations.

Don't 'live' with anything - learn how to 'fix' anything instead :D
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Strange Plumbing Problem

blue cylinder sounds like a pressure tank
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #11

Strange Plumbing Problem

Hehe. When I say I can live with that, I mean that I am happy that's the issue and not something deeper with the plumbing. From what I remember from the blue water tank is that it is 1/2 hp I believe and has some sort of gauge that measures the water pressure? Our water pressure in the shower is just average and I believe the gauge shows around 40%.

I haven't touched it since I moved in since I am unsure of everything that it does but I would like to learn.

I plan on renovating the bathroom in a couple of months so I will deal with the leak at that point.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #12

Strange Plumbing Problem

Here's a crummy video I just made, might give you a better idea on how a well pump controls pressure:

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
Hehe. When I say I can live with that, I mean that I am happy that's the issue and not something deeper with the plumbing. From what I remember from the blue water tank is that it is 1/2 hp I believe and has some sort of gauge that measures the water pressure? Our water pressure in the shower is just average and I believe the gauge shows around 40%.

I haven't touched it since I moved in since I am unsure of everything that it does but I would like to learn.

I plan on renovating the bathroom in a couple of months so I will deal with the leak at that point.
Oh My bad.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #14

Strange Plumbing Problem

Quote:
Here's a crummy video I just made, might give you a better idea on how a well pump controls pressure:

Very cool. Thanks for doing that. I must have a submersible pump outside in the well as I don't have a pump attached. It dosen't make any noise either.

Here are some pics of the tank and my taps and faucet for those interested. How much are those tanks roughly? I am in Canada so prices will differ but just a ball park figure is fine?

Tank

I really gotta fix this shoddy piping work.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Strange Plumbing Problem

Those pressure tanks can be a few hundred, but yours appears to be in good shape externally anyhow. If the bladder inside has failed that can cause problems, but not the problem you're having.

The franklin electric box above it, at our shop we refer to them as PUMPTECS but i think thats a brand that has just fallen onto a myriad of the same product by different manufacturers. Basically it's an electronic cut-off if you run low on water in the well. It's a safeguard for your pump. We don't normally put them on unless the flow test on the well showed a low recovery well. If you just moved in, you're gonna want to keep an eye on your water level in the well during the summer months.