DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Strange issue of air in hot water

762 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  cmdaniels1986 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum, and I have a broad range of knowledge in roofing, flooring, carpentry, and many other things.... except plumbing :eek:.

Me and my wife purchased a foreclosure back in April. Lots of cosmetic work, but everything else is pretty new. The house was built in 1996 - 1997, so it's not super old.

My issue is simply air bubbles in my water system. Currently, the air usually shows up in the hot water only. Every morning I wake up, turn on the hot water, and it runs, and will spurt for a few seconds. (Sometimes 10-15 seconds of intermittent sputtering), then it will run fine for the remainder of the session. It very rarely occurs in the cold water, but does occasionally.

I know what the issue is, when I fill up a glass at any faucet in the house, the water comes out white, and then the bubbles dissipate. There is so much air in the water, it literally sounds like carbonated water. I know that is the cause of the air in my faucets, because when I turn my hot water heater off, and have cold water everywhere, the problem goes away.

I have checked tons of things. I have closed off the water to the house, shut my pump off, and let it sit for 2-3 hours, and there is no change in pressure, so I don't believe there is a leak anywhere within the house.

Before my pressure tank, I have a valve that has the raw water coming in from my well. When filling up a glass from this source, there is NO air bubbles in the water, so it seems as if the air is coming from after the pressure tank somewhere, but this seems to be no leak within the house..

I do have an old Culligan water softener system and Iron Cleer system that still seem to work fine. Any way, there could be some checmical reaction causing these air bubbles in my water?

I have a well, with a pressure tank.

Thanks!!!!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.