DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Strange faucet (hose bibb) (

pjpjpjpj 03-21-2007 08:41 PM

Strange faucet (hose bibb)
2 Attachment(s)
This is a hose bibb on the front of my house. Has anyone seen one like this? Anything unusual about it, or replacing it?

If I turn the knob, it turns and turns and then eventually water starts spraying out of both the faucet opening (on the left) and from all around the plastic ring that is right behind the knob.

Sound fixable, or should I have it replaced with a "normal" hose bibb that I could service myself?

Ron The Plumber 03-22-2007 07:56 AM

Thats a commercial style faucet, replacement can't be done without opening the wall it's in, there are rebuild kits you can get for them, but not sure what brand that is.

pjpjpjpj 03-22-2007 09:12 AM

Thanks for the quick response, Ron.

"Opening the wall", as in, access from behind? Ugh. The previous owners finished a basement room behind it, with drywall walls and ceiling. I believe there is even a small closet right behind it, so it might require ripping out closet framing too.

Could access be gotten from the front, if the concrete around it (and maybe even part of a brick) were chiseled out? It is located in a hidden spot so I am not that concerned about looks when it is finished.

Would most plumbers be familiar with this faucet, and be able to "investigate" rebuilding it (meaning, figure out if it could be done, what brand it is, etc.) without tearing much out?

Ron The Plumber 03-22-2007 05:47 PM

Yes if can be identified, you can't remove it from the front, it can only be taken apart from the front.

It almost looks like an old woodford brand.

PlumbinginIA 03-22-2007 10:06 PM

It is a woodford, and it is not an old style. Still use them often as a matter of fact. The problem is in finding the parts. Most plumbing wholesalers carry or can get the parts. You would be hard pressed to find them at your local hardware store. If you do, make sure your main valve comin in to your house will shut your water off before even attempting it.

pjpjpjpj 03-24-2007 10:08 AM

Thanks. I am definitely not going to try it myself. I'm going to call around a few places from the phone book and see if they are familiar with Woodford hose bibbs, have done rebuilding of them, etc. Maybe they will have an email address so I can send them these pics first, before they come out to the house, charge me $100, and say "I've never seen one of those before, sorry".

fcplumbing 08-23-2009 05:02 PM

You Can Get Parts
Parts are easy to find for woodford here is a link to a picture guide yours looks like a model 20

AllanJ 08-24-2009 07:12 AM

Can you undo the packing nut behind the handle? Then replacing the packing may well get the faucet usable again.

Caution: sometimes faucets are so rusted together that when you put a wrench to them, you rip a hole in the wall and twist the entire assembly and pipes out and then flooding follows.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1