Storm Water Backup Through Floor Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Storm water backup through floor drain

Hi,

I have a home in the Chicago NW burbs built in 68’. Under heavy rain (like 7-10” or some ridiculous amount we get every 1-2 yrs) I get storm water backing up through the basement floor drain.

So I am going to remodeling the basement and would like to get some feedback on how to prevent this from ruining all my hard work in the future. We all know it will happen one day!

My home does not have a sump pump. I believe there is an exterior drain tile that dumps into the sewer to provide drainage for the home. I have a square foot of floor open to the soil where I need to finish off once bathtub is set. I notice that after a storm (like the 4-6” this past weekend), the water table will rise to no higher than a few inches below bottom of slab. I believe that is the drain tile doing its job.

Here is what I gathered speaking to a neighbor who is a plumber:

1. Complete flood control system out in the front yard. I know this is the best solution, however not in my budget. I think it ran my neighbor 5k+?
2. Backwater/gate valve in the basement. The problem with this approach is that water would build up around foundation since drain tile has nowhere to dump. The plumber said I would need to install a sump pit with interior drain tiles. I really don’t want to do this either as it would cost 4k and “moat” the basement.

What if I installed a sump pit with no perimeter drain tiles and had any storm water collect in pit and discharge out into the yard? Obviously this would be the cheapest option, just don’t know how effective it would be and probably against code.

TIA,
Matt

Advertisement

bochnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

I guess this member was thinking the same thing:

Question regarding floor drain and sump pump combo

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

Just spoke to the village plumbing inspector. He confirmed that I have a external drain tile that dumps into the sewer line. The best way to solve sewer backup is to install a flood control system in front yard or convert to an overhead sewer line.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

A sump pump pit with no drain tiles and near the floor drain will collect any backup from the floor drain. It is not elegant since the water flows on the surface of the floor over to the pit.

Sump pumps are used mainly to alleviate ground water seeping up into the basement. With no drain tiles, the pit will probably alleviate up-seepage in an area about five feet (horizontally) away from the pit on each side, the exact distance depends on the porosity of the soil or sand under the basement floor.

The backup from your floor drain is probably coming from the sewer.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
A sump pump pit with no drain tiles and near the floor drain will collect any backup from the floor drain. It is not elegant since the water flows on the surface of the floor over to the pit.

Sump pumps are used mainly to alleviate ground water seeping up into the basement. With no drain tiles, the pit will probably alleviate up-seepage in an area about five feet (horizontally) away from the pit on each side, the exact distance depends on the porosity of the soil or sand under the basement floor.

The backup from your floor drain is probably coming from the sewer.
Thanks for the response Allan.

The backup is definitely from the floor drain due to sewer backup. When it backed up, it came in and then back out pretty fast.

If I did a pit, it would be located a few feet from the drain.

Am I crazy to think that a pit collecting back up and pumping it out would be a good idea? Would a good pump keep up?

I have some flood control companies coming out this week and expect estimates will be in the 5-7k range.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

The floor drain can be rebuilt with a check valve. This won't be perfect; some of the time sediment may hold the check valve slightly ajar allowing some backup, but auxiliary means such as a sump pump pit can be used and here the pump will keep up.

One difficulty in fashioning a combination floor drain and sump pump is getting water during normal use of the floor drain to go down to the sewer instead of first to the pit.

Note that an inrush of water backing up from the sewer and water table ground water seepage and total inundation of the house and lot are three separate topics when discussing flood control.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-03-2010 at 09:11 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
The floor drain can be rebuilt with a check valve. This won't be perfect; some of the time sediment may hold the check valve slightly ajar allowing some backup, but auxiliary means such as a sump pump pit can be used and here the pump will keep up.

One difficulty in fashioning a combination floor drain and sump pump is getting water during normal use of the floor drain to go down to the sewer instead of first to the pit.

Note that an inrush of water backing up from the sewer and water table ground water seepage and total inundation of the house and lot are three separate topics when discussing flood control.
Yes, I have read that article.

I am liking the specs of this pump:

http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoeller-M267/p3754.html

Advertisement