Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Stopped up Tub

Hi. Since my wife started using my tub, it's stopped up more than it has ever been. I poured a bottle of Draino gel and it didn't do anything. The Tub's drain has a metal component that the drain cap screws into, so it is difficult to get around them to hunt further down the drain for the problem. There is not access to the pipes since it is under a one piece shower/tub unit.

Should I try another bottle of Draino? A bottle of something else? What would a plumber be able to do that I'm not? Thanks for the assist.

Rick

RickVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #2

Stopped up Tub

Hi Rick,

Exactly what kind of tub stopper do you have? Could you post or find a pic of yours? If we can get you access to your drain directly then maybe you could use something like this to clean out the drain:

Otherwise you'd have to go through the overflow and use one of these, which all plumbers should have. Here's what the set-up would look like:

Please do me a favour though. If you do end up calling in a pro please tell them about your use of chemicals in the drain. That way they can minimize the potential splash back and avoid injury.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
plumber666 (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Stopped up Tub

Thanks for the reply. I ended plunging the drain and it brought the hair up so that I could pull it out. Draino seemed totally ineffective. I wonder how it's been on the market so long.
RickVS is offline   Reply With Quote