Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #1

Share |

Still leak after weeping tile replacement

I own a 1960 bugalow in Vancouver, BC. I have encountered water problem in my finished basement earlier this year around Feburary. Basically, I saw water mark and paint peeling on the dry wall next to the foundation wall. I had a couple companies came in and look at the problem. When they cut open the dry wall, they found a vertical hair line crack on the foundation. And the company suggested that it was a weeping tile problem. So, I have another company came in to look at my drain tile. Apparently, the drain tile around 3 sides of my house is still the original clay weeping tile. (Note: the drain tile has been upgraded on the side of the problem wall). Anyhow, I followed the advise of the company after a couple of different quotes, I had decided to replace the entire weeping tile system. They jack hammered out the concrete, digged all around my house, replaced all the drain tiles around my house. Sealed the crack using hydraulic cement, roll tar on the exterior foundation wall, put in a sump pit at the conner of my house to collect all the water from the drain tile, back filled the dirt. They seemed to be doing a good job up to here, but they failed to pour the surface concrete back (part of the contract) before the company went out of business. I paid them 80% of the quote along the progress. Anyhow, now i got every thing restored back to how it looks like before, costed me the price of a good european car. I've monitored the basement for a couple months. In the summer, it's not a problem at all as it doesn't rain much here in Vancouver. Now comes November, the rain season come again. After a couple days of heavy rain. I found my basement flooded again, it seems like the water kinda come out from the basement floor slab, this time the wall is dry. Water spread to 2 to 3 feet away from the foundation wall.

The reason why I mentioned the company went out of business is to state that I had no warranty on the job, and I couldn't find this guy anymore.
I really have no idea, especially, after all this nightmare. I don't trust any of the contractors as they all say the same thing. I don't have another european car to spend. Any suggestion with regard to the problem? Any one I could consult? Please... any help would be appreciated.

mondaysick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #2

Mondaysick,

We dont' have a basement but what I remember from listening to home improvement shows on the radio for many years is that water leaking into the basement should be attacked by diverting water away from the home.

Do you have rain gutters? If not maybe install them and install drain pipes for each downspout that drains out on the down slope side well away from your home. IOW, ideas similar to this.

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Below Grader

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with your waterproofing contractor, and even more sorry for the fact that you paid a lot of money to install an obsolete drainage and damp proofing system, when you could have this problem fixed for a fraction of that cost, using more up-to-date technologies.

The whole problem with the weeping tile, was not the fact that it was made of clay. The problem is with the external weeping tile concept itself. No matter what kind of material they are made of, they are known to fail.

Why? First, because they have to be buried so deep, under tons of dirt. That dirt can, overtime, clog the tile. Or the weight of it, can cause the tile to collapse. And because it is buried by the footing, there is no way to service it, but by digging it out all over again, which, as you know, can get pretty expensive.

That goes without considering the possibility of the weeping tile being installed incorrectly because the contractor was trying to save a buck and didn't use the proper materials, which seems to be the case with your home.

Here's some information on conventional weeping tiles and why they fail

Nowadays, most basement leaks can be fixed for a fraction of the cost, with an interior drain tile systems, installed along the internal perimeter of the basement and linked to a good sump pump system. This technology, have been used with success for over 20 years to dry basements in thousands of homes in Canada and the US.

Besides being more affordable and easier to install than conventional weeping tiles, these systems have the advantage of remaining serviceable for the life of the structure. They can be fitted with service ports that will allow the system to be periodically flushed and maintained.

This is why good waterproofing companies back their systems with Transferable Lifetime Warranties.

Call some basement waterproofing contractors in your area for a free estimate and take a look at their internal perimeter drainage systems. At this point, that would be the best course of action.
CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #4

Does the sump pump keep up with emptying out the pit so that the water level never rises high enough to cover the openings of the weeping tiles as seen in the pit more than halfway?

Adjust the sump pump so it comes on before the openings of the weeping tiles into the pit get covered more than halfway.

Tags
basement leak, drain tile, flood, foundation, weeping tile