Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

"sticky" gas water heater thermostat

I've had this long standing issue with my water heater. I have the thermostat set to heat the water to about 130 degrees, as measured just after the burner cycles off at a nearby tap. But the burner doesn't kick on again until the temp drops to about 105 degrees. No way to get a hot shower up through 3 floors of copper pipe like that in the winter! I usually have to run some water in the AM to get the water heater to kick on so I have hot water.

And when I turn the thermostat up again after a vacation I have to turn it way up the scale before the burner kicks on. It's like the spring is stiff.

New thermos are, what, about $50? Not worth it for a 13 year old water heater. So I am slowly coming around to deciding to get a new one.

I am thinking of getting a water heater with one of those new self-powered digital controllers. Are these any good? Seems like they should provide a tighter control band.

Last edited by homer12; 01-21-2008 at 09:37 AM.
homer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
*****S SIGNATURE LINKS

LINK BUILDING
FORUM POSTING SERVICE
FORUM LINK POSTING SERVICE
FORUM SIGNATURE LINK BUILDING

http://www.seo-marketing.tk

Last edited by Kristal; 08-12-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #3

Without naming names the circuit board has often been the main problem when service is needed. The digital control effectively locks out conventional testing methods, making it impossible to diagnose problems, if in fact the circuit board is shorted, cracked or defective. It has been my experience that the bells and whistles cost you alot more in the long run. As for your old water heater, a new gas control valve runs on the average of $140, $300-400 if you have a plumber install it. Nine out of ten times a water heater will rust out before the gas control valve needs to be replaced. Yours is the exception. I would be concerned about the heat loss of three stories of piping and would consider buying a larger capacity water heater to offset the heat loss. And I wouldn't put any money into a 13 year old water heater.
askaplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #4

No, I won't be spending any $$ on the old heater.

I was wondering about those circuit cards. I know that my parents went through a few of those on their brand "W" electric unit. They shipped them a new one for free and I put in in for them. But you are right, it's hard to diagnose. Theirs was less than a year new so it was unlikely to be anything else. The new card fixed it right up and is still working OK 4 years later. But they are a potential failure point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askaplumberfirst.com View Post
Without naming names the circuit board has often been the main problem when service is needed. The digital control effectively locks out conventional testing methods, making it impossible to diagnose problems, if in fact the circuit board is shorted, cracked or defective. It has been my experience that the bells and whistles cost you alot more in the long run. As for your old water heater, a new gas control valve runs on the average of $140, $300-400 if you have a plumber install it. Nine out of ten times a water heater will rust out before the gas control valve needs to be replaced. Yours is the exception. I would be concerned about the heat loss of three stories of piping and would consider buying a larger capacity water heater to offset the heat loss. And I wouldn't put any money into a 13 year old water heater.
homer12 is offline   Reply With Quote