Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

Share |

Sterling toilet, flapper issues

I have 2 Sterling 1.6 GPF toilets and I can't seem to find a good flapper for it that works the way it should. I do know that the flapper has to be longer vs the short flappers like a Korky for example. I have used Fluid Master because they seem to agree better with these toilets.

Lately I am having an issue where after the toilet is flushed water still trickles down into the toilet for 5-7min afterwards, I tried the food coloring test and there is a little bit that shows up even with the longer Fluid Master flapper.....any help is appreciated. Thanks

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

Sterling is a division of Kohler, and Kohler toilets - for whatever reason - seem to hate "universal" flappers like Korky or Fluidmaster. I agree with you that the Fluidmasters seem to work the best, though.

You could either get a replacement directly from Kohler/Sterling, or replace the whole flush valve with a Fluidmaster flush valve.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael
Sterling is a division of Kohler, and Kohler toilets - for whatever reason - seem to hate "universal" flappers like Korky or Fluidmaster. I agree with you that the Fluidmasters seem to work the best, though.

You could either get a replacement directly from Kohler/Sterling, or replace the whole flush valve with a Fluidmaster flush valve.
I tried a Kohler flapper with a float. It actually allows more water to trickle down into the toilet. When would it be actually time to replace the toilet?
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I tried a Kohler flapper with a float. It actually allows more water to trickle down into the toilet. When would it be actually time to replace the toilet?
Kohler has about a dozen different flappers, and probably more for their Sterling toilets. You have to have the model number of the toilet, and make sure you get the flapper that matches that model.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:

Kohler has about a dozen different flappers, and probably more for their Sterling toilets. You have to have the model number of the toilet, and make sure you get the flapper that matches that model.
Thanks
Where can I locate the actual model #?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6

Usually inside the tank - either a sticker or stamped into the side of the tank; also could be on the under side of the tank lid.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Usually inside the tank - either a sticker or stamped into the side of the tank; also could be on the under side of the tank lid.
Found it. 404015. Made by Sterling.

Last edited by dinosaur1; 06-19-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:

Found it. What if I just buy the tank?Bottom portion is fine. Although entire toilet is same amount as jut the tank would cost online or in some local stores. Wow

http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com:...#infoandguides
Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Found it. What if I just buy the tank?Bottom portion is fine. Although entire toilet is same amount as jut the tank would cost online or in some local stores. Wow

http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com:...#infoandguides
You don't need to replace the whole tank! But now that you have the model number, you can go on the Sterling web site, or even go to a plumbing wholesaler (not a Home Depot), and find the proper flapper for that toilet.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:

You don't need to replace the whole tank! But now that you have the model number, you can go on the Sterling web site, or even go to a plumbing wholesaler (not a Home Depot), and find the proper flapper for that toilet.
I bought a flapper that says it's for Sterling toilets at Ace Hardware, but the water trickles down even more into the tank. I don't get it.......
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #11

Quote:
I bought a flapper that says it's for Sterling toilets at Ace Hardware, but the water trickles down even more into the tank. I don't get it.......
Yeah...a lot of those hardware store after-market parts are junk. You want to get genuine Kohler (Sterling) parts. Call 1-800-STERLING and talk to customer service. Give them the model number you found inside the tank.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:

Yeah...a lot of those hardware store after-market parts are junk. You want to get genuine Kohler (Sterling) parts. Call 1-800-STERLING and talk to customer service. Give them the model number you found inside the tank.
No it's a genuine Kohler flapper.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #13

You'll probably have to go back to "Plan B" and replace the flush valve. Fluidmaster makes a good flush valve, and (obviously) uses the ubiquitous Fluidmaster flappers if/when you need to change it.

There could be a nick on the seat of the flush valve that's preventing the flapper from making a complete seal.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
You'll probably have to go back to "Plan B" and replace the flush valve. Fluidmaster makes a good flush valve, and (obviously) uses the ubiquitous Fluidmaster flappers if/when you need to change it.

There could be a nick on the seat of the flush valve that's preventing the flapper from making a complete seal.
How would I know for sure?