Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

sterling "neo angle" shower kit

hi y'all.

a customer of mine wants to buy the sterling neo angle shower kit, or something similar, to install in his bathroom.

of course the salespeople tell me what a great product it is ("no leaks! high quality! plumbers love it!") but i'm having trouble finding any user reviews online.

are they indeed perfectly acceptable and functional units?
easy to install?

my concerns are longevity of the product, making sure the floor won't crack and the walls won't develop leaks, and ease of installation.
i've built a fully custom shower before, all tiled, with sloped mortar bed, and i'm sure i can't build another one for the cost of this sterling pre-fab unit.

the corner it will go in is out of square ( existing house wall), and one of the two walls is not perfectly plumb.
will i need to fuss around with shimming perfectly plumb and square for installing one of these things, or is there some wiggle room?

also, should i install over the studs, or over the drywall?

thanks guys.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #2

I'm not a professional, but I put one of these Sterling neo angle showers (38"?) in my basement a few years ago. It was adequate but nothing special in the quality department. I installed the base directly to the studs and then the walls/panels after drywall was completed. It's been a few years and it's still holding up pretty well. My walls were out of plumb about 1/4" and I had enough adjustment in the rails to make it look decent and water tight.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

We sell and install a crap load of Sterling products. I have not found anything better for remodel work. Good stuff. Rugged, nice finish, easy to install.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

No experience with that particular product, but personally, I don't like neo-angles. I think there are better ways to arrange a bathroom to get a more roomy shower stall in it than a tiny little neo-angle.