Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sterling Kohler Advantage 6203 Shower Problem

Greetings,

I recently had a Sterling Kohler 6302 Advantage shower stall installed , the system includes a base receptor to which two side walls and a back wall are connected to the base. The base receptor has a lip and the sides are designed to sit on the base / lip..The problem or question has to do with what appears to be "gaps" in the left and right corners looking from behind the unit you can see a gap approx 1" and the wall units do not seem to fit to the base receptor lip snugly..see attachment for pic of corner and wall bottom to base lip.

I am puzzled as to why Sterling has this design and if anyone else has a similar installation or experience with these units.., I spoke to their customer service folks who indicate the seams should not be caulked and the corner gap is part of the design..althought it seems to be larger than normal..so I'm wondering as to how this design can work when moisture would work its way behind the unit on the base lip causing an opportunity for mold etc..the shower also has a hand held unit as well.. I am not in the trades and my plumber has struggled with the installation..we are both trying to understand if the install is not done correctly due to a defect or is our result correct ...we are talking about caulking up the gap and seams since I am very concerned about enabling any moisture that might support mold in a confined space in an already humid climate location.

The trim, tile and finish work are complete so I am hesitating to take everything out if we do not have to...unless this is the only way to get it right..

Any advice, input or ideas are welcome.

Best regards,

striper,
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Kohler Advantage 6203 Shower Problem-corner-gap1.jpg  

Last edited by striper; 03-29-2010 at 09:05 PM.
striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I has been a while since I used a Sterling shower unit, but then, I really like them. They were designed to interlock and had chanels to drain off water without leaking, no caulk required. In fact, caulk nullified the warranty. I assumed they worked as advertised, since I never had a callback. Not sure I ever saw daylight as your pic shows. I don't think that is correct.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I has been a while since I used a Sterling shower unit, but then, I really like them. They were designed to interlock and had chanels to drain off water without leaking, no caulk required. In fact, caulk nullified the warranty. I assumed they worked as advertised, since I never had a callback. Not sure I ever saw daylight as your pic shows. I don't think that is correct.
Thanks for the reply..agree on the interlock and the 'dry fit' concept ..my friend Al who is the trade pro and I were looking for some feedback which we think indicates the wall should fit tighter to the lip with a 1/32 minimum gap.., the installation instructions suggest a tighter gap which we think we missed..
striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 304

I just installed a Sterling Accord walk in shower in my basement last week.

( Just rocked it today)

I removed the metal clips so I could do some dry fitting before hand.

It took a couple of light raps with a block of wood and a 2# hammer to seat evenly.

There wasn't much unevenness but the tapping took care of it.

( I was looking at the fit from the front )

Then I disassembled and installed the clips.

Could be some manufacturer tolerances or some crud in the receptor slots

could account for it.

Mine needed a little coaxing.

As long as your fit looks good from the front you should be OK.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Hello. We just had a sterling shower installed & have the same exact problem. Just wondering what you ended up doing. Do you have it reinstalled to get a better fit (assuming that was the problem) or did you just caulk the holes? Any & all info would be much appreciated! Thanks!
gardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote