Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Share |

steam heating system problem

when I started my steam heater last week, it came the big pang...pang...pang big noise from one location of the pipes in the basement. That noise lasted like 5 to 10 minutes before turn quiet. It did not have this problem last year.

The only change I did this year before turn on the radiator is I removed one little radiater to replace to another room. Did it cause this problem?

Also when I opened the lower value by the boiler to flush the water, the water doesn't came out. But I can see there is enough water in the tank from the glass viewer. Is it something block inside ?

hyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

If the water does not come out of the release valve, you have a BIG problem. Well maybe not that big but it certainly needs fixed or it will become BIG.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

That's called water hammer it's the steam hitting the condensate water laying in the pipes usually it will happen until the system is hot and operating a few hours, if it stops it should be OK. The noise is hydraulic pressure and can be damaging to the pipes. If it don't stop you have to troubleshoot the system.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

if that is a petcock drain valve it is blocked up next off cycle cool the boiler down if you can pressurize back into it to clear it...that hammering is the cooled off steam from last year just sitting waiting on this falls first heat run.if you have a long liquid level check all the rads for slight off on the level towards the steam supply line into each.as the staem cools the water drains back down into the boiler if it is angled the dead ean of the rad you'll get that hammering.if you have radiator covers a 1/2" of thin sheet of styrafoam HD/LOWES foiled backing won't hurt reflecting that heat into the space and not the cold wall
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote