Steam Generator Pressure Release Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steam Generator Pressure Release Valve

I am in the process of installing a steam generator for my steam shower. Currently the pressure release valve is going back into the shower on a seperate line then the regular steam. It was recently brought to my attention that this set up is hazardous and should be changed. Does anyone know the force of the water that will be expelled from the pressure release pipe and can this installation stand as is? What is the ideal placement for this pipe and does it need to be deposited outside the home?

Thanks,

Glenn

Advertisement

runlikegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Most relief valves are rated for temperature and pressure situations. Check the specifications on your valve to see what the specifics are. I have never seen a code that allows the discharge to be in an "inhabited" area. Many say the valve must have piping to a maximum of 6" above the floor. Some codes require the piping to exit the building and not be in a position to harm anyone. In Florida, where I lived, the T/P valve had to exit the house and dump into a french drain. Your current situation is dangerous and could be considered life threatening. Probably against code also.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for clarifying. I recently had a plumber over who said the same thing you did. My builder installed the steam generator as described. He took many short cuts in other areas so this is not much of a surprise.
runlikegump is offline   Reply With Quote