Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Steam gas oil boiler upgrade, why so expensive?

Hello pros!

I currently have an oil fired steam boiler. I'm looking to go to a gas fired steam boiler. The ng gas line is already coming into my house, actual runs less than 5 feet from the current boiler.

I've been getting some crazy quotes to do the upgrade. I honestly want to understand, why am I getting quotes north of 8,000.00? I know the new boiler itself costs 3,000 at most. I'm pretty good around the house and know what I'm doing, but would never install a boiler myself due to insurance issues. Is a single day's worth of work really going to cost me 5,000.00 in just labor alone?

Does this sound accurate? Don't take into account ust removal or chimney liner. Just the boiler swap, why so much? Im not looking to start a riot here, just really want to understand and appreciate why this costs so much. Thx.

AdamBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

It may just depend on your area.

For example here a typical service call is $40. I have a friend in New York and a typical is $150 and this is just for 1 hour.

I just did a boiler here (New Install) and I had 12 hrs just in making up the piping and setting it in place. I would guess that if this boiler is going to be installed in one day that there will be at least two men there and twice the hourly rate.

Not to mention the extras needed such as gycol, propane, solider, safety devices, expansion tank, piping ect.. and copper is quite costly. Now look at the overhead for the business such as business insurance, vehicle insurance, payroll taxes, work comp ect. It all adds up and quickly.

Typical run of the mill boiler change out here is $7000.00

I also notice that your user name has NYC (New York City) I presume.

With 20% city tax, 20% state tax and 20% federal tax it's going to be high.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Used to be in NY, now I live in Jersey. While I got your attention, What are your thoughts on direct venting the new boiler as opposed to running a liner in the old chimney. Which do you think would be more cost effective?

Also, i've read the info on chimney lining. Do you think its 100% required when doing the conversion from oil to gas? I read different things.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Used to be in NY, now I live in Jersey. While I got your attention, What are your thoughts on direct venting the new boiler as opposed to running a liner in the old chimney. Which do you think would be more cost effective?

If the boiler is an 80% the most definitely would install a liner. If the boiler is a 90% or better then a new PVC flue will be required. Munchkin are great boilers and are 90%+ modulating

Also, i've read the info on chimney lining. Do you think its 100% required when doing the conversion from oil to gas? I read different things.

Yes 100% required.[/QUOTE]

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

http://www.munchkinboiler.net/ - Boiler discontinued? Also, reminder I have steam. I was thinking about going with a Slant/Fin. I've done some research where people are taking brand new slant fin oil boilers then doing a conversion to a NG power burner. I'm trying to get away from how loud my oil boiler is right now, so I dont think i'm going to go in that direction. Thx for all your input btw.