Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Standing water in washer outlet hose

I have a Frigidaire front loader. Between washes I notice a sulpher type odor from the outlet hose at the back of the machine. This hose is a flex type and there is a large section that lies flat on the floor behind the machine before it turn upwards to be inserted into the stand pipe.
Can I shorten this hose without damaging anything or is there another fix?
Thanks

my61dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,036

You will never get rid of all of the standing water in the hose.

If you can detach the hose from teh washer completely you might try flushing it out to get rid of any accumulated lint or debris.

You can shorten the hose but that is not good. It would be troublesome to splice it back together if you need to relocate or sell the washing machine. Many drain hoses are corrugated in a way that makes it difficult to use a coupling and hose clamps.

Better would be to re-arrange the hose so most of the extra length is higher than the top of the stand pipe.

Do not splice on to a washing machine or dishwasher hose longer than it was originally and do not seal it to the stand pipe.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,036

your hose should not be lying on the floor. Your machine should have a hose clip at the very top of the washer to hold it up. Clip it into the holder and then over to the drain.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for your replies. I took a look at the back of my washer and there is no clip so I will see if I can find on that can be attached now. I always felt it should not be on the floor but with no hints about the clip thing couldn't see anyway to get it up off floor. Thanks again...much apprecaietd help
my61dublin is offline   Reply With Quote