Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Stand-up shower drain needs to be resealed, HELP!

I have a nasty leak coming from the master bathroom shower drain. I believe the leak is due to water running down the OUTSIDE of the pipe due to a bad seal on the drain itself. I planned on simply screwing out the top part of the drain, gooping it up with plumber's putty, and resealing it.

I have a problem-- how the heck do I get this drain off? There is no indentation for a tool to be able to unscrew it. I have no idea how to reseal this drain. Help!! Here's pics (we just bought this house, so don't judge the dirtiness! :D )

RiskyBiz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

So...there's a basement?

The first thing to do is clean that drain inside and out. There is a chance it was assembled from below and there is no way to take it apart - well just one maybe.

Cleaning the slime away from everything is the first step, thoroughly drying it is the second step, then you may be able to weld the inside and silicone the outside. I can't tell you enough that it all must be totally clean and totally dry.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Welding? Yikes! Surely there must be some easier way to get a seal on that drain..
Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

No "yikes" needed--solvent weld (pvc cement)

That looks like a solvent welded (glued) fitting----Buds correct---clean that fellow up--let us know if there is a way to get at the bottom side of that shower.---Mike---
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

That doesn't sound as bad as I thought. I'm a total noob (first time homeowner) so I'm really getting a crash course in just about everything. I'll update with pics from underneath the shower when I gain access. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

I'd go with a " WingTite" repair drain.
Ive install dozens of these and they are a great product.
Before I found these type of drains , I would have to open the ceiling or go in the crawl space to remove the original drain .
http://www.wingtite.com/installation-demo/
Attached Images

AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
I'd go with a " WingTite" repair drain.
Ive install dozens of these and they are a great product.
Before I found these type of drains , I would have to open the ceiling or go in the crawl space to remove the original drain .
http://www.wingtite.com/installation-demo/

Slick product---however, would that be the right thing if the existing drain is a solvent welded unit?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Welding? Yikes! Surely there must be some easier way
Okay chicken...I'll explain to you how to weld the one pipe joint if that's what you decide to do. Kids, don't try this at home.

Pay close attention to what I'm saying because this is very advanced stuff with a difficulty level rising to a 10 on a 1-10 scale. Once the inside of the pipe (from the topside) or the outside of the pipe (from the bottom side) is totally clean and dry, here's what you do.

Buy a can of solvent adhesive for PVC. From the topside get on your knees in the shower, remove the can's lid and inside will be a dauber/applicator attached to the lid. Hold the can firmly in one hand as you hold the lid in the other hand (take a deep breathe and hold it) remove the lid with the attached dauber/applicator.

The dauber/applicator will have an abundance of adhesive clinging to it and dripping from it. Quickly smear the dripping adhesive inside the pipe and move the dauber around the entire circumference generously distributing the fluid adhesive onto the pipes surfaces and into the pipes juncture. Remove the dauber/applicator from the pipe and carefully insert it back into the can and tighten the lid immediately so if you spill it the can it won't pour out and ruin the shower base. Okay, now you can exhale.

Should you be able to get to the bottom-side, do the same thing down there. Take a deep breathe and hold it. Be careful not to allow the adhesive to drip on your arm and run down to your elbow while reaching above your head to make the application. That adhesive is the schitz if you get it into your arm pit-hairs.

There you are. Difficult and scary I know but you can do it. Quickly replace the lid and screw it on tightly. Exhale. Now stand back, look up at your work (and the dripping adhesive) and breathe a sigh of pride and relief while you admire what you have accomplished. You have welded the fittings. Good job.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

I bet the problem is that the putty or silicon failed under the flange. Or the nut loosened on the threads. Both are simple fixes
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Slick product---however, would that be the right thing if the existing drain is a solvent welded unit?
I agree. Great idea, but if you watch the video you'll notice he has to push the thing down about 1/2" and actively hold it to get it to seat against the shower pan. That drain pipe should have been trimmed. Now his trap arm has opposite grade.

Terrible demo video.
oh'mike (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I agree. Great idea, but if you watch the video you'll notice he has to push the thing down about 1/2" and actively hold it to get it to seat against the shower pan. That drain pipe should have been trimmed. Now his trap arm has opposite grade.

Terrible demo video.
Maybe it's good that it showed a bad installation.

Off topic---but I used the handiest plumbing tool for the first time.

It's a cutter that fits into a drill and allows you to cut the PVC pipe out of the inside of a glued fitting.

Kind of looks like a paint mixing paddle--A round steel disk on the end slips inside the pipe --a cutting blade above that removes the pipe as it spins

No damage to the fitting--a light scraping with a knife was all it took to clean the fitting enough for a new pipe.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Maybe it's good that it showed a bad installation.

Off topic---but I used the handiest plumbing tool for the first time.

It's a cutter that fits into a drill and allows you to cut the PVC pipe out of the inside of a glued fitting.

Kind of looks like a paint mixing paddle--A round steel disk on the end slips inside the pipe --a cutting blade above that removes the pipe as it spins

No damage to the fitting--a light scraping with a knife was all it took to clean the fitting enough for a new pipe.

Yep we have some of those in our shop. "Fitting Savers" Awesome.

Don't drop them, the blades will bend, and they won't take enough pipe out of the fitting to get a new piece in there.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
DIY staff

That tool saved me two hours of labor---I've known that they existed for years--just never needed one before---
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
That tool saved me two hours of labor---I've known that they existed for years--just never needed one before---
I call them ram bits. Fittings are cheap, but labor to replace them is not.
But I never seem to have the right sized bit.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-04-2011)