Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

stainless steel sinks

I am looking for undermount stainless steel sinks for my counter top and island and i wanted to know what is the highest gauge of steel i should look for in a stainless steel sink. and should it be a name brand sink. also what is sound deadeners.

Last edited by notaryjb; 08-10-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: adding more information
notaryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #2

stainless steel sinks

I would recommend the thickest steel which is 18 gauge. This is really important if you plan to install a disposal. The thicker the material, the less vibration it will transmit. Sound deadeners are usually a sprayed on insulating product. When you set something into a steel sink, it makes noise. The better the insulation, the less noise. Find a sink and a thickness you like. Different manufacturers make different shapes and sizes. I would suggest reading the warranty though. Another thing to consider is when you see that bright shiny sink in a showroom, you will be using it and may want to consider a satin finish over the highly polished one. Scratches can come at any time.

Last edited by majakdragon; 08-10-2008 at 09:50 PM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #3

stainless steel sinks

I majored in metallurgy when I took my degree in Mechanical Engineering.

There are two things that affect how well you can stamp something into as radical as a shape as a kitchen sink. The first thing is the thickness of the metal you're stamping, and the second is the hardness of the metal you're stamping. The ideal kitchen sink would not only be made of a very HARD stainless steel, it would also be made of a thick gauge of stainless steel.

To get the best sink, you should not only consider how hard the steel is, but it's thickness. The hardness of the steel will be determined by it's composition. For example, when they say "18-8" stainless steel, they mean a steel with 18 percent chromium and 8 percent nickel in it. Generally, the more chromium and nickel in the steel, the harder and more "stainless" it is. You want a hard stainless steel to stand up well to scratches from knives in the sink when doing dishes. Unfortunately, the kind of stainless steel you have won't necessarily indicate it's composition. A "304" stainless steel is one that simply passes an ASTM code that allows it to be sold as "304" stainless steel, and that doesn't tell you it's composition. But, get the types of stainless steel that the sinks are made of, and phone up any stainless steel wholesaler to find out which grades are the hardest.

Basically, any stainless steel will be sufficiently "stainless" to last forever. However, the harder and thicker the stainless steel your sink is made of, the less it is going to show scratches and dents, and the slower it will show wear.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-10-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #4

stainless steel sinks

Thank you so much for your information, However can you also tell me if the ASTM code it the same as the ASME & cUPC certification. Because all of the sinks that I am looking at the wholesaler is claiming are certified and they are 304 stainless steel sinks and does not mention having and sound deadeners buildins. also is it true that a strong stainless steel sink should sound like a bass drum.
notaryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #5

stainless steel sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaryjb View Post
is it true that a strong stainless steel sink should sound like a bass drum.
Never heard that before.

The sound deadener will probably be a thick coating applied to the underside of the sink.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote