DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   SS flexible connector with nut? (

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 04:01 PM

SS flexible connector with nut?

I'm having the same problem that someone else posted before (tony_s, I believe):

"I've just put in a new Fluidmaster flush valve in the toilet and I keep getting a leak at the seal under the tank.

Since the Fluidmaster box includes a new plastic coupling nut and washer, I'm thinking that the leak might be caused by the old braided metal connector washer being worn out.

I can't figure out how to remove the old plastic coupling nut and washer from braided metal connector... how does one easily remove it?"

but I don't know what an SS connector with nut is. I replaced the old stuff inside with the Fluidmaster guts & all like the guy at Lowe's recommended. Had to go back because water kept pouring out of the bottom and wouldn't even fill the toilet when I turned it back on, and he said I needed a new connector since mine was the old metal one with a flanged top. OK, bought that, came home, dang near broke my fingers getting the old one off, but did it and put the new one on. Now I can get water to go into the toilet, but it pours out the bottom from the same place. Not as bad, but still... I am *so* not handy, but I've spent 6 hrs doing this and I'm determined to finish doing it myself.

Do you think that other connector thing is what I need or maybe I need somebody with stronger hands to tighten the things better than I can?

Thanks for any suggestions - I really appreciate it!

Update: I went to Lowe's again to see if they could help. Nobody around anywhere this time. I looked at every toilet hose connector I could find and they all looked the same with the things on both ends. I found one made by Fluidmaster & picked that one up, figured it should fit, right? Same problem - still leaks at the same place. I don't know what I've done wrong and I'm ready to pull my hair out!

clasact 05-18-2008 05:44 PM

scroll down about 13 post and you will see your answer

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by clasact (Post 124040)
scroll down about 13 post and you will see your answer

Thanks you clasact - I did read his post. That's how I figured out I had the same problem. My problem is that I don't know what an SS connector with a nut is. Every connector I looked at today (and believe me, I looked at every last one of them) at Lowes had exactly the same things on the ends as the two I've bought and tried - one even being a Fluidmaster brand, figuring the brand name should fit with it's own stuff.

All I can say is thank goodness there's a 24 hr McDonalds 1/2 mile down the road so we have access to a bathroom... argh!!

clasact 05-18-2008 07:16 PM

do you or can you post a picture of what you got and are try to replace and did you put all the parts that came with it on sounds like maybe a seal missing

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 07:44 PM

I'll snap some picture and see if I can figure out how to post them. I did use all the parts, and according to the instructions that came with the stuff, all the parts were there. I'll see if I can do some pics here real quick. Thanks for your help.

clasact 05-18-2008 07:49 PM

i am really trying to see what the problem might be and help if I can not trying to be a smart ass just so ya know

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 07:55 PM

Thanks, and I really do appreciate it. I just took 4 pics, now just have to figure out how to post them here.

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 08:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, let's see if the 1st 2 work... the box from the Fluidmaster kit and the 1st connector I bought. The 2nd one I bought and that is connected now is the Fluidmaster brand one.

clasact 05-18-2008 08:09 PM

so is it the plastic nut that goes into the tank that is leaking

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, and this show the new guts I put inside - I know I need to straighten the part on the left side out again so it faces the front. The 2nd one is taken kind of upside-down - where the water thing connects to the tank on the bottom and where it keeps leaking every time I turn the water back on.

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 08:12 PM

I'm not sure. You know how it has the metal one right up against the tank? Then there's the plastic thing with the rubber thing inside it that shows in the picture? It's coming from somewhere on that block but I don't know which house... does that make sense?

clasact 05-18-2008 08:13 PM

their should be like a ruber gasket that must be installed the right way and not pinched or kinked is it

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 08:15 PM

You mean the one inside the white thing on the bottom outside the tank?
There's like a cup-shaped gasket. I don't think it's messed up, but I'll go check again.

clasact 05-18-2008 08:19 PM

I mean the one at the tank that goes through the hole the your tube goes through it then the nut tightens against it and seals it from the inside

oldnightnurse 05-18-2008 08:24 PM

OK, the one inside the white thing outside the tank is fine - it's actually a part of the connector and it's the Fluidmaster. But now I see... guess I need to take the stuff apart again and check the other one. OK, here's a dumb question... is the flat part supposed to go against the inside of the tank or does the flat side face up? The instructions said to put the flat surface against the valve so right now the angled surface is down into the hole. I'll pull everything apart again and recheck it though. I really do appreciate your help.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1