Square Opening In Foundation? Mice Entry Point? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Square opening in foundation? Mice Entry point?

I have attached a picture of a square hole in my foundation. I did some research and it appears to be a P-Trap for my tub enclosure that you can also see in the picture.

I have encountered a problem with mice have spent the last week examining their habits and ending their existence. I suspect this is their entry into the house. My question is; can this (or should this) be filled with concrete?
Attached Thumbnails
Square opening in foundation?  Mice Entry point?-img00272-20101110-0812.jpg  

Advertisement

DaveyGravey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I wouldn't fill it with concrete, you'll be screwed if you ever need to get to it. Get some really fine wire mesh and staple it around the stuff, maybe do 2 layers and see what happens

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

I was thinking that as well. The only thing is, I'm not sure how I am going to get the wire mesh stapled down underneath the tub enclosure, it is a very tight area and impossible to access. I'll only be able to lay the wire mesh down on that edge,
Old 11-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyGravey View Post
I was thinking that as well. The only thing is, I'm not sure how I am going to get the wire mesh stapled down underneath the tub enclosure, it is a very tight area and impossible to access. I'll only be able to lay the wire mesh down on that edge,
how about spraying that edge with expanding foam? it'll expand thru the mesh and hold it in place, i don't think mice will be able to eat it out thru the mesh
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
My question is; can this (or should this) be filled with concrete?
If you want to fill it with something, use sand. Easy and clean to dig out later if repairs are necessary. If it were my home, I would never fill it with concrete.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #6

But, if my mice are aggressive enough to go underneath the foundation, won't they still get through sand?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
But, if my mice are aggressive enough to go underneath the foundation, won't they still get through sand?
I really doubt it. But if you want to take additional measures, make a template cover out of a manila folder. Buy a piece of sheet metal and cut it to match the template. Paint it well to prevent rust and cover the top of the sand with it.

It would have to be a REALLY determined mouse to dig through sand and eat through sheet metal while buried in sand to get into your home. But I highly doubt that any mouse will dig through sand to get into your home without the sheet metal cover. Also using "dry" sand (meaning there's no leaks to keep the sand moist), there's no way for the mice to dig a tunnel for back & forth access to your home.

Looking forward to hearing what your final solution is. Unique problems like yours are so interesting,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 11-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

Ok, thanks...I'll try that for sure. I think I do have determined mice and hopefully this will do the trick.

I was hoping that leaving around a few victims would have discouraged newcomers but it hasn't been the case so far!!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Ok, thanks...I'll try that for sure. I think I do have determined mice and hopefully this will do the trick.
I was hoping that leaving around a few victims would have discouraged newcomers but it hasn't been the case so far!!
FWIW, there was a study by a university regarding using sand or crushed coral as the bed prior to pouring concrete slab foundations for homes. They found that using the right sized grains of sand, ground termites were unable to make tunnels through the sand as the sand would just keep collapsing. I think the same thing would be true for your mice and since they are multitudes larger than termites, the size of the sand granules would not have any effect. Any tunnels your mice tried to make would just keep collapsing.

HRG

Advertisement