Sputtering/brown Water From Frost-free Faucet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sputtering/brown water from frost-free faucet

I had a long water line put in last year (300+ feet from the house) to our dog kennels, and another plumber came out shortly afterwards and installed a frost-free faucet.

I noticed that when I turn the water on for the first time (on most most days), it sputters--as if air in the line, and yellow-brown stained water comes out into the stainless dog bowl. It usually straightens out in a few seconds and works fine. Is this normal with the design of a frost-free faucet?

thanks in advance

Advertisement

InertiaDriven71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

I am guessing that there is sediment in the line where only a small amount comes out each time you turn on the faucet.

If you ran the faucet for ten minutes one day, would the problem go away for the next several days (or forever)?

By the way, a frost free faucet stays unfrozen only when it is mounted on the side of a heated building and the pipe or hose outdoors and downstream is drained out or disconnected when you are done using the faucet. We cannot rule out the line having cracked somewhere due to freezing while undrained and impure ground water seeps in when the faucet was turned off.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-10-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

If you are talking about a yard hydrant---that can happen if the base of the pipe is not packed with enough rock for the riser to drain properly.

Is this a faucet on a pipe sticking up out of the ground? Cast iron lift up handle?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #4

I live in South Arkansas, it barely got below freezing at all last winter. Also, the line was put a good 12 inches or more underground.

Yes, it is a cast-iron with a lift-handle.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
DIY staff

Google 'yard hydrant ' and you will find a diagram---there is a drain hole in the valve body ,below the ground---it sounds like your location is saturated with water and not allowing the riser tube to drain-

This will result in rust and such in the riser tube. You need more gravel under the pipe or the yard may be soaked due to the spring rains.
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-10-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Sorry it has taken so long to get back here.... Thanks Mike, for the tip. You are 100% correct, the ground of my place is absolutely saturated for much of the year (except for June through September). This is especially true this spring with repeated rainfall.

I am not sure if adding more gravel will help...the ground will almost always be saturated under there, even with gravel (?)

Is it causing short-term or long-term damage to the faucet? I.e.-- will it require replacement within some time?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
DIY staff

Two concerns---if that water freezes you will crack the riser pipe.

That stagnant water in the pipe is not healthy to drink--so run the water for a minute to flush it out before watering the dogs.

If freezing is not a concern---remove the yard hydrant and use a regular faucet---
Old 05-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

I can't remove the faucet setup, I paid $390 for it ($75 for the faucet, and the rest labor). These guys in the skanky town of Hamburg, Arkansas 35 miles away charged me for him and his 2 cohorts for the drive and the 35 minute 1-man job.

This was after the first plumber put a PVC faucet coming out of the ground. The first guy only charged $270 to run the 330-foot line as well.

You can tell we have no really good plumbers around here.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
DIY staff

We have some good ones here---If you decide to do the work your self--we will help----

Three men to add a faucet----no wonder it cost so much----
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

I hate to sound bitter, but these guys quoted $500 to do the whole job initially. The second plumber came out and did it for $270, but had the half-a$$ faucet. So $270 + $390 = too much.

I appreciate the help Mike. We have an awesome electrician, decent odd-job/woodwork contractor, but no plumber.

I was a C-130 engine/prop mechanic in the USAF many years ago, so I can fix things myself if I have the time. However, it is my 2 kids, job, and other activities that do not leave much extra time and I would rather just pay it done. However, I will tackle my own plumbing from now on. Thank you again, WE NEED THE HELP.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
DIY staff

My 'go to ' plumber died a couple years ago---it took a while to find another one that did not want my right arm for a small job. There are good and fair plumbers---finding one is the problem---
Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,726

I hope you have a backflow in your house to that yard hydrant. That way your family is not exposed to what is in the ground....

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-12-2013)