Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Spud Gasket Issue

I have a simple problem that evidently doesn't have a simple solution. The toilet tank was leaking in our guest bathroom so I decided to fix the problem myself by replacing the spud gasket, bolts, etc. One problem - the other toilets in our home are Kohler and I thought this one was as well. So I purchased a replacement spud gasket for a Kohler before taking the tank off.

It turns out the tank is actually a Western Pottery toilet. But, after visiting my local Orchard Hardware store I didn't find a spud gasket for Western. I ended up visiting 2 more plumbing stores and calling a third. No dice. (BTW, this also happens to be a hex gasket).

I finally called Western themselves and they gave me the phone number of the company that could send me the parts. Spoke to them. They sent me to their website to find the part and said they would send it to me after I gave them the number. Found it on their website. Next problem - the only one they have is the wrong size. It's 4 1/4" wide with the inner circle 3" wide. The one I'm replacing is just under 4" wide and the inner circle is about 2 1/2" wide. They couldn't help me.

So now I have no idea what to do. My townhouse was built in 1993 but since the other 2 toilets are Kohler I suppose this toilet could have been replaced at some point before I purchased it 2 years ago and someone did a hack job or something.

Regardless, I've searched high and low for this part (though I've yet to visit Home Depot - their website didn't seem to show anything similar to what I have) and can't find it.

What is your suggestion? Do I need to improvise? I saw the Universal one at Orchard but it's slightly smaller and not a hex, no grooves, etc.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

signpost7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Spud Gasket Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost7 View Post
I have a simple problem that evidently doesn't have a simple solution. The toilet tank was leaking in our guest bathroom so I decided to fix the problem myself by replacing the spud gasket, bolts, etc. One problem - the other toilets in our home are Kohler and I thought this one was as well. So I purchased a replacement spud gasket for a Kohler before taking the tank off.

It turns out the tank is actually a Western Pottery toilet. But, after visiting my local Orchard Hardware store I didn't find a spud gasket for Western. I ended up visiting 2 more plumbing stores and calling a third. No dice. (BTW, this also happens to be a hex gasket).

I finally called Western themselves and they gave me the phone number of the company that could send me the parts. Spoke to them. They sent me to their website to find the part and said they would send it to me after I gave them the number. Found it on their website. Next problem - the only one they have is the wrong size. It's 4 1/4" wide with the inner circle 3" wide. The one I'm replacing is just under 4" wide and the inner circle is about 2 1/2" wide. They couldn't help me.

So now I have no idea what to do. My townhouse was built in 1993 but since the other 2 toilets are Kohler I suppose this toilet could have been replaced at some point before I purchased it 2 years ago and someone did a hack job or something.

Regardless, I've searched high and low for this part (though I've yet to visit Home Depot - their website didn't seem to show anything similar to what I have) and can't find it.

What is your suggestion? Do I need to improvise? I saw the Universal one at Orchard but it's slightly smaller and not a hex, no grooves, etc.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
not what you want to hear....get rid of the junk...that the makers can't fix...get a new toilet....problem solved now and in the future...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (09-13-2012)

Tags
gasket, plumbing, toilet