Sprinkler System - Installing Valve Box - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sprinkler System - Installing Valve Box

Hello all! I have some questions about re-working a sprinkler system. I moved into a house that has a sprinkler system fed by reclaimed water. The valve and solenoid and filter etc are all connected above ground. This looks horrible since it is right in our front yard in plain view and the solenoid keeps rusting and needing to be replaced. Additionally, the entire system (front yard and back yard) is all set up as one zone.

what I want to is separate the system up into two zones - one for the front and one for the back, and I want to install a valve box in the ground and connect everything underground in the valve box. I dug down to the pipes and can see fairly clearly what I will need to do as far as splitting the system into two zones. What I am unsure of is whether or not I can connect the filter in the valve box underground. The guy at the hardware store said that I would have to leave the filter above ground. I would really prefer to have everything out of site. I have never worked with sprinkler systems before so I'm starting from square one. Any advice would be great!

also, there is a metal pipe sticking out of the ground about two feet right next to the sprinker valve box etc...any idea what this is for? thanks in advance!

taz :-)

Advertisement

tazmajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

I can't say if there is a diffference on reclaimed water but I have a shore house with city water pumping through my sprinkler lines which was professionally installed. All the solenoid valves are below ground in accessible boxes, the only thing that stands higher is the anti-siphon air break to prevent siphoning into the public water system. We do not have any filter on ours unless what you are referring is the air break. Also, the splitting into zones should be no problem at all. We have 3 zones with front, side and back areas although the controller allows for 3 more if we want.

Advertisement

Last edited by handyman78; 01-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the reply handyman! I was told the filter is necessary on reclaimed water systems. I cant really think of any reason that this would have to be above the ground, can you? even if I have to drain it, I could still reach into the box to do that and it would just drain down into the soil.

anti-siphon air break? I actually noticed there are two metal pipes about 1 foot apart sticking out of the ground. that prevents people from siphoning water out of the city's reclaimed water system some how?

thanks again!
tazmajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

An anti-sipon air break prevents any exposed water from returning to the "clean" public water supply in case there was some vacuum present. It works the same as the air break on an exterior garden hose so that an attached hose sitting in a dirty puddle for instance won't be able to draw dirty water back to the city water system. Being that sprinklers sit at ground level, they are not much different than the hose sitting in a puddle. See if you can contact a sprinkler service company in your loca area to get a more descriptive answer to the reclaimed water problem. They may be able to freely quote you either code or standard procedure for your area/climate.

Last edited by handyman78; 01-06-2009 at 10:17 AM.
handyman78 is offline   Reply With Quote