Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sprinkler Head through Drywall

The contractor is coming tomorrow to put up drywall in my newly finished basement. I have sprinkler heads in the basement ceiling and was wondering what type of material I can use to cover up the drywall hole after the drywall is installed. The sprinkler heads in other areas of the home have a metal ring around the base of the sprinkler head to cover up this area. Can this metal ring be purchased and installed around the sprinkler after the drywall has been installed? Is this metal ring something that is normally attached to the sprinkler itself?

I have included a picture of what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by dgoldb1; 01-29-2008 at 06:32 PM.
dgoldb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #2

the ring is installed after the d wall. you should be able to get them localy.
http://www.pursefactory.com/sprinkle...y/canopy-1.htm

ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #3

Do you know if these fit over the sprinkler heads or do the heads need to be removed in order to install the "canopies"?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #4

The chrome trim ring is called an escutcheon, and is two separate pieces. The inner piece is threaded onto the sprinkler head before installation into the sprinkler pipe. The hole is cut into the sheet rock and after the sheet rock is installed, mudded, and painted the outer ring slips over the inner ring. The problem is that the 2 pieces must be purchased from the same mfg. Not all of the innner and outer rings are the same size, nor all of the escutcheons marked with a number or mfg. So do not loose the matching rings. Also, the sprinkler heads should be removed with the special wrench you should have been given after the sprinkler system installation.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
Alpha Kennybody

Kudos on the sprinkler heads

He may be installing these type:

Concealed Sprinkler heads
Alpha Kennybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #6

Yes he may be using concealed heads w/those covers. If so, I hope they are not installed as per your photo, because they will never drop off in case of fire. If the covers don't drop off, the water spray will be behind the cover and not on the fire.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Alpha Kennybody

Why would the covers NOT pop off....aren't they designed to pop off?
Alpha Kennybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #8

The sprinkler brand is CSC, a division on Tyco. Does anyone know where I can pick these escutcheons up from?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

hello just joined,found u thru google, need info for an escutcheon for a 5/8 wall mount head. it needs to be about 3/4 to 1 inch deep and powder coted white. sorry about jumping in in the middle of a thred but thats where google sent me .replacing old heads in condo units so some receptors are recessed some are flush and some are sticking out as much as an inch. i need an wall escutcheon that will cover all my needs. if anyone could help me out i would be greatfull. it would be about 2000 or more. thanks inadvance peak113@budweiser.com subject escutcheon.
peak113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #10

Hey Fireguy, one of my concealed sprinkler head covers keeps fallng off (already installed). I understand that glueing it or something permanent kind of defeats the purpose of the head being able to come off in the event of a fire. Any thoughts on how to get the cover to again "catch" in the connector next to the head, and stay in place on the ceiling? Appreciate any thoughts.

Gallmicr is offline   Reply With Quote