DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sprinkler conversion from spray head to drip

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  djlandkpl 
#1 ·
I'm about to convert a section of a sprinkler zone (1 of 3 zones) from regular spray heads to micro sprays. The area to be converted is a slightly raised bed that is on the same zone as a section of the lawn and is fed from a lateral line (1/2") off of the main line (1"). There isn't any issues with exceeding the water supply.

After talking with a guy at the local irrigation shop, I was told that I could connect a spray head conversion body to the very end of the lateral in the raised bed and cap off the risers before it. The conversion spray body has a 20-30 psi regulator built in. On the top of the conversion spray body, there is a nipple that I connect 1/2" poly and I would just run that down the bed and connect my micro spray nozzles. The pressure in the system is 55 psi and all the spray bodies in the lawn are Rainbird PRM 30 (30psi regulated).

The reason I want to do this is the plants in the bed will get watered much better with much less wasted water (compared to spray bodies watering all the dirt in between the plants as well). Also, I only have three valves and to add more would be a major ordeal since a paver patio separates the valve manifold and the lawn area.

Does anyone have any opinions about how this will work and any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
A conversion head will work. You could also remove the existing head and use a threaded barb fitting to connect a preset pressure regulator. It will boil down to $$. Head vs. fittings.

A fitting like this would go into your 1 inch line, either elbow or straight.

Connect a regulator like this and then run your 1/2 line.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/DIG-Drip-Irrigation-Pressure-Regulator-p/18-030.htm
Thanks for the tip. All of the 1" pipe is buried under the lawn and it'll be a lot easier to just use a conversion head instead. The main concern I have is if I have this leg of the zone that's converted to micro sprays, will it affect the rest of this same zone that will run regular sprays simultaneously?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.