Split Pipe In A Tight Spot - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Split pipe in a tight spot

I have a kitchen drain pipe that has a split in it. I took some siding off the exterior so the plumbing would be easier to access.

As you can see, the pipe runs through a hole in a set of 4 studs. The split in the pipe is right at the elbow and down to almost where it enters the set of 4 studs. I can cut the pipe out. But given the pipe's length, I don't think I can fit a new length of pipe inbetween the 4 set studs and the next stud over. As you might also be able to see, there's a supply pipe on the elbow side of the stud set. I really don't want to notch the set of 4 studs and patch in a piece of wood after the pipe is replaced. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

ZEW496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

My answer is based on that being a 1.5" copper drain. Cut out everything to the left of the tee(leave a 1.5" pipe stub) and replace with PVC. Make the connection from PVC to copper with a Fernco connector.

http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...1#.ULUF9Wexw1E

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,130

I dont think you can use the fernco above inside a wall. But if you can use a a similar one it would have to be a full banded-shielded one.
Attached Thumbnails
Split pipe in a tight spot-17768036_22654064_trimmed.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 11-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,168

I'm guessing that with the trap disconnected under the sink, and the pipe going through the 4 studs cut, you will be able to slide the pipe going through the wall back far enough to give yourself plenty of wiggle room, after which I believe you will have the choice of sweating in a new pipe or doing as RJ suggested.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

I just ran into a problem like this in my kitchen, I cut the pipe with a tiger saw and put a new pipe in with a fernco. I got a qoute for 1,000 dollars lol was not going to happen. It was pretty easy, if you have skills with some tools you should have no problem.
Dtownartluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,630

While you're out shopping for the 1.5" copper x plastic shielded coupling, grab some 1.5" pvc or abs pipe, a coupling(just in case), a new 90, a new trap adapter, glue/primer and a 1 5/8" hole saw to enlarge the stud holes. Maybe get some more wall insulation too and put it between the pipe and exterior. Did your pipe freeze?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #7

Wow, thanks all for replying so quickly.

So to clarify: Cut the pipe at the T coupling leaving at least 1.5", add a shielded coupling, and replace everything from the coupling to the garbage displosal with PVC?

Will I only be able to get such a coupling at a plumbing supply, or would one of the big box stores carry those?

We have only had a mild freeze here so far, so I don't think that is what happened. I am a painter and sometimes when I clean brushes at home I kind of press in the sink. I think maybe that put stress on the pipe causing a split.

Oh my, it just occured to me what that white stuff is on the inside of the wallboard. duheerr

Anyway. I have wrapped the pipe in Nashua seal tape, which seems to be working well temporarily. I'm going to remove a bit more siding, spray things down with a bleach solution, allow some time for things to air-out & dry, and replace insulation before closing things up again.

Thanks for the heads up on enlarging the hole through the studs. That hadn't occured to me that it may be necessary.

Advertisement

ZEW496 is offline   Reply With Quote