Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

spinning toilet

i just installed a new toilet in my basement bathroom. While working around the bowl I accidentally twisted it. It seemed to pivot around the drain connection (so only the front part moved). I dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that the flange bolts may have moved out of their "locked" position in the flange or maybe something to do with the wax ring? The flange bolts dont sit perfectly vertical due to unlevel concrete floor under flange.
I'd appreciate any suggestions as to remedy this. I'd prefer not to seal the whole toilet to the floor.

Jnorm860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #2

spinning toilet

If the bolts were even snug, the bowl should not have moved. Makes me wonder if the flange is connected to the pipe. If not, the flange may have spun. The flange should also be attached to the floor.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

spinning toilet

A. Make certain that the flange is glued well to the drain (assuming that it is plastic), and in the correct orientation (bolt slot ends at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock).
B. Make certain that the flange is bolted securely (Tapcons work well) to the concrete floor and sitting flush on top of the finished floor level with only the thickness of the flange above finished floor level.
C. Level the toilet under the bottom edge of the base with beveled plastic shims made for the purpose (use a level across the bowl).
D. Always use a new wax ring if the toilet moves significantly or is removed for repositioning. Sit or stand on the toilet when "seating" it on the wax ring.
E, Snug the toilet bolts down so that the toilet cannot move at all, but do not overtighten as it could crack the porcelain base.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #4

spinning toilet

It appears one of the bolts is not able to twist the 90 degrees to fit tightly under the ring (due to the floor). It may be limiting how tight I can get the bowl. Should I but some silicone under the front of the bowl? I've seen it suggested by some. How difficult does this make for future toilet removal?
Hope this makes sense!
Jnorm860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #5

spinning toilet

It doe's not matter what you use, the toilet will still move and break the seal of the wax ring, unless you "glue" the toilet down. I know it is more work, but I would advise you to find out what is preventing the bolt from locking in, and fix it. May just take a little chisel and a couple minutes of time. If you don't, you will be fighting this problem forever. Sorry.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

spinning toilet

IMHO, the only reason to use caulk around the base of a toilet (and always leave the back open for leak detection) is for looks.
Fully stablize the toilet, or as stated, you will be fighting the problem forever.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote