Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sounds like leak on ceiling from upstairs bathroom

Hey all, this is my first post on this board, and am hoping for some insight. My house is a small colonial built in 1983. My only upstairs bathroom is located along the back wall of the house. The living room is located underneath it.

The leak (or sound of it) seems to only come around when the shower is running, or when the toilet is flushed. It seems to drip one audible drop every few seconds or so for a few minutes after the shower has been turned off. The odd part, at least to me, is that I can't SEE where its leaking. It sounds like its hitting the ceiling right where the drain for the shower/toilet would be, and with my ceilings being white, I would figure that it would show up. Also a large black drain pipe runs down along (inside) the outside wall that you can hear waste water flowing through when the toilet is flushed. Any ideas what I should do next? Is it possible that larger drain pipes may have a drip within the pipe due to a partial blockage? Any ideas on what to do would be much appreciated. I am hesitant to call a plumber out until I can pinpoint it a little better. Let me know if more info is needed also. thanks

duckmanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

sounds like leak on ceiling from upstairs bathroom

The odd thing about your leak is that you say you hear it when either the shower or toilet is used. It's very odd because the toilet uses a completely separate pipe than does the shower and sink. That is, unless someone made a huge blunder in your house, but I kind of doubt that.

The pipe from the sink, shower, bathtub should not meet the drain pipe from the toilet until it gets down into the basement. This is necessary so that toilet water doesn't come bubbling up into your bathtub or sink when there is a clog.

Try drilling several small (about 1/4") holes in the ceiling below the shower and see what you get. If there has been a leak there for a while, you might get some water through the holes.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote