Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Sound of Coffee Brewing in Water Pipes

As the title states.. I'm hearing what sounds like Coffee Brewing or water movement in the walls. I live in Florida and we did have a few nights where it got quite cold out but has since heated up nicely.

I originally thought the water heater (maybe 5 years old) was to blame for the sound until today. The master bedroom sits on the other side of a wall which houses the water heater, laundry room etc. I could hear the coffee brewing sound at night when things where quite. I followed it to the water heater and thought maybe it was time to replace the element. Until I heard the exact same sound coming from or near the kitchen sink today. The sink sits on an island in the kitchen and it was coming from that area loud and clear. This prompted me to investigate. I checked the guest bathroom and no sound, I found the sound in the master bathroom near the sink/toilet/shower. The area where I've heard or can hear this sound is in close proximity to the water heater. The guest bathroom is on the other side of the house.

I checked all the outside water taps and they are off. I thought maybe I got an air bubble in there so drained the hot water heater and the sound has stopped. At least for now. I reviewed water bills and not noticed any major increases in water usage. I don't think I've got a leak.

This sound just started recently, the house is 20 years old about 1,100 sq ft wood frame structure on a concrete slab. Pipes are all copper everywhere I've found them coming out of the walls. I've noticed no evidence anywhere of water damage or found anything to suggest a leak.

aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Sounds like sediment build upon the bottom of the water heater.
How old is it?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Sounds like you could be on to something. I've cleaned the tap in the kitchen a few times because of a buildup. The water heater is about 5 years old.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan80 View Post
I originally thought the water heater (maybe 5 years old) was to blame for the sound until today. I thought maybe I got an air bubble in there so drained the hot water heater and the sound has stopped. At least for now. This sound just started recently.
Sometimes the sounds from the hwh can resonate through the whole house, due to the harmonics of the copper piping.

Everything seems to be working fine now. Maybe draining your hwh helped. Keep an eye on it. Keep us posted of the results. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 02-09-2014 at 06:37 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

I found it, I do have a leak in the wall behind my bed where the water heater is. The coffee brewing sound is now a steady stream sound like rain coming off the roof. My laminate floor in that area is wrinkled up and I can hear splash, splash while walking on it. Time to check homeowners policy and find a good plumber.
The Following User Says Thank You to aidan80 For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-10-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #6

You did shut the water off, right?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan80 View Post
I found it, I do have a leak in the wall behind my bed where the water heater is. The coffee brewing sound is now a steady stream sound like rain coming off the roof. My laminate floor in that area is wrinkled up and I can hear splash, splash while walking on it. Time to check homeowners policy and find a good plumber.
Glad you found the problem.

You have a great idea. Most home owner's insurance policies will cover this type of repair. Let us know how everything works out for you. Thanks.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You did shut the water off, right?
It very funny that, that question has to be asked in this day and age yes my first thought of then my second thought was.. where's the shut off valve
Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Glad you found the problem.

You have a great idea. Most home owner's insurance policies will cover this type of repair. Let us know how everything works out for you. Thanks.
Thanks, unfortunately my deductible is higher than the cost of repairs. I lost half a laminate floor (2 years old) and a day off work otherwise I'll fix the hole in the wall and lay a new floor... maybe I'll go with tile in case it happens again

The Following User Says Thank You to aidan80 For This Useful Post:
jmon (02-10-2014)