Sooo Confused - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

sooo confused

I am new to this site so please be gentle...I have torn out my guest bath when want to enlarge it and now I am confused on if I should do the shower pan kit or pour my own.. We took out our but and want to do a walk in shower with tile and I looked at some of the shower pans but I can't tell if there is a standard size to go by or if I can find a cut to fit the size of the shower..
I thankfully have a spouse who is good with tools etc but I am the one that has to design it and I don't know how to start without knowing what comes first deciding the shower pan size of designing the shower size and try to find the shower pan to fit it.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

di

Advertisement

di1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

sooo confused

You need to do some leg/phone work to find what sizes are available in preformed shower pans. Measure your area to find the maximum size you can fit into the space. While pouring a cusom size base is possible, make sure you know all the requirements and pitfalls.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

sooo confused

I would not consider anything other than a "pour your own mud pan" and Kerdi. It's a fantastic solution that allows you a ton of options.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

sooo confused

Depends on you budget and room size. Make the shower large enough to be comfortable and small enough to feel warm in there. If you have enough in your budget you can make the shower any size you need and use custom made mud job shower bases which are the best way to go anyway. If you are on a very limited budget, size the shower and see if you can find the correct size base, if not modify the shower size for the base that is close to what you want.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

sooo confused

In the interest of correct terminology, let's clarify that "mud" shower bases are definately not poured. The mix has 1/3 portland, 2/3 sand, and hardly any water. It should be the consistency of damp sand...Like you'd build a sand castle with at the beach. The mix is packed in place.

Doing a mud base with an integraded rubbery membrane is tricky and I don't recommend it. Since Kerdi is available, I don't see that there is any better option, especially to DIYers.

Schluter also makes some great foam shower pans that can be cut to fit your shower. They also make pre-formed foam curbs that are nice too. They're intended for use with the Kerdi system.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

sooo confused

Yeah...pour wasn't a good choice of words on my part...sorry 'bout that. About the only pouring that happens is when you dump the mix from the bucket to the floor!

It's amazing how well it works...I use one in the MB shower every day...and love it.

Advertisement