Something You Should Never Do? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Something you should never do?

When installing 3" pipe into fittings it typically requires 1-1/2" of pipe to fit inside. Would cutting the fitting down so you only need 3/4" to and installing a rubber gasket/fitting for 3" coupling overtop work? I know this is totally wrong but will it work?

p.s. This is for a toilet flange in the basement concrete floor that is to high and currently there is the 3" 90 fitting then 3" coupling tight to the 90 then the toliet flange will be tight to the 3" coupling. (toilet flange will be 3/4" to high) I'm aware of the fittings/flange that go inside the 3" pipe and it really should all be cut out and redone.

Advertisement

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

No 90's are allowed in a toilet waste line, unless they are special long sweep.
and 3 ?????? sounds like a disaster right there

Advertisement

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

trying for idea for you. Seems the 90 is a moot point, seems you are stuck with it in the concrete. Not sure if you meant using a rubber coupling in place of regular coupling, anyway, have you given thought to building up the floor, would seem easier to put 3/4" of something rather then have the toilet plumbing fail down the road.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

I had to break out the concrete and re-locate the tub and toilet drain pipe and it is still open (no concrete) because of the tight confinement of the original pipe layouts all the fittings are tight together and I would have to cut out 5 fittings and it still wouldn't work.

The used a 90 because that's what was original used.

I didn't change how they original did the piping other than moving stuff over for min. distances. The one thing I added that isn't in this picture is the 3" coupling tight to the 90 then the floor flange cut down to 3/4" PLUS a 3" rubber coupling over top of this connection for added protection in case 3/4" for the pipe insertion isn't enough.

http://flemingds.com/uploads/Piping.JPG

Last edited by mfleming; 11-19-2008 at 09:48 AM.
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #5

cuttting the hub of the 90 is just fine, in 12 years of plumbing i havn't had any problem with it, I Asure you I don't want to do, it but sometimes it is needed, make sure to cut the hub straight, maybe with a chopsaw(be careful). Im trying to picture why you need to do this, but its hard, is buying a street 90 out of the question? Is the 90 already glued? Minimize the cutting of the hub, by taking accurate measurements of what is needed. Oh, and 90's are allowed on toilet lines or any other lines as long as they are vertical, sweeps are used for horizontal piping.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote